Chapter 16

When Jax finally pulled back to look at me again, his anger was replaced with worry and something else. He sighed before finally letting go of me. I'd never seen him so worked up before. Normally, he was such a businessman that his poker face never left him outside of the house, but this was different. He was legitimately about to lose it for my sake. Someone pulled his shoulder before he was slapped. He scoffed and held his cheek before looking at the culprit. Peeking around him, I saw an angry Siobhan glaring at him.

"Are you insane?! How could you call off the engagement at the very moment we were supposed to announce it? We're you trying to embarrass me?" Siobhan yelled. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to see Asher standing beside me as well.

"I think you embarrass yourself just fine on your own. I heard what you said to Minnie. Let me make this clear, this marriage is a business deal. I couldn't care less about your feelings, but Amina is the mother of my child. I already warned you what would happen if you mess with her. Keep it up and there won't be an engagement to announce," Jax seethed. I was shocked to say the least. He completely let go of his poker face and was openly glaring at Siobhan. The normally cool and collected Jax was actually showing his emotions outside of the house. Siobhan glared back before storming back inside. Jax took my hand in his to leave but Asher was still holding on to my other arm. Jax stopped and looked at Asher expectantly but Asher wasn't budging.

"This is the second time I've seen you make Amina cry," Asher said. Jax sighed before letting go of me.

"The first time, I didn't know what was going on until you barged into my office to tell me. I don't like making the same mistake twice. I promised I would take care of Min, and I am," Jax said to Asher.

"Min? Are you two really that close?" Asher challenged him. I released my arm from Asher's grasp to hold on to Jaxon's arm. He stopped his stare down with Asher to look at me.

"I want to go home," I said quietly. Jax smiled gently before nodding.

"I'll go bring the car around," Jax said before he left, leaving me alone with Asher.

"What did I just witness?" Asher asked dumbfounded.

"Ash, I like Jax. Whether I can act on those feelings or not is a different story, but today wasn't his fault. Actually, it was yours. Siobhan messaged me from your phone saying it was an emergency. When I got to the ballroom I just got... overwhelmed. Siobhan isn't Jax's fault, and he doesn't have as much of a say as you think he does in his own life. Give a little breathing room. I'm okay... with Jax. It's true my emotions are harder to control too. Don't get involved unless I ask, please... at least when it comes to Jax," I asked softly.

"You're defending him? He's always been cold- hearted. You don't actually believe he cares about you, do you? It sounds like you love him with all the excuses you're giving him. You're playing a dangerous game here," Asher called me out. I hung my head and didn't deny it. Did I love him? Was that the emotion I'd been trying to pinpoint all this time?

"Jax isn't like what you think. I won't deny it because I'm not sure of how I truly feel myself, but you can't play hero for me every time I'm in trouble. We've been friends since we were in diapers, Ash. Please don't make me temporarily cut ties with you," I asked. Ash sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm not trying to make your life harder, Min. I'm just trying to look out for you," Ash explained in frustration. I'd known Asher forever, so I knew what he meant. Asher had always acted like an older brother towards me. Now that I had to fend for myself, the change was too sudden for Asher; I knew that. I hugged him gently.

"I do love and miss you," Asher said.

"I miss you too, Ash," I said as I let go of him to give him a small smile.

"Min, I think you missed the point. I love you... not just as a friend. I have for years now. Watching you struggle so much in that house makes me furious. Come back and live with me. Whatever the consequences, I'll take care of them," Asher said quickly. I found myself shaking my head.

"Ash... I love you like a brother, but I can't see you as anything more; especially with the state I'm in right now. It's my fault I'm like this, but even if I wasn't, I would never risk ruining our lifetime friendship. You know I've always been fickle when it comes to my feelings, and your protectiveness is in overdrive because there isn't much you can do to help me this time. Forget the thought, Ash," I replied. He sighed looking dejected but I knew he was just worried. Jax pulled the car up, breaking my staring contest with Asher.

"I guess you have to go," Asher said, looking at the ground. I moved to the passenger side of the car with Asher following me. Asher opened the door for me and helped lower me into the seat.

"Drive safely. Don't forget you can call me whenever you need me," Asher said into the open door. I nodded before he closed the door. Jax took off and I finally sighed and tried to get ahold of myself.

"Why did you talk with Lee about?" Jax asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Who, Asher? Oh, the usual these days. He's worried about me and feeling overprotective. He blames you, but Ash and I grew up together. He's always been that way. Whenever I faced troubles in the past, Asher was always the one by my side. Maybe he spoiled me too much and that's why I'm so sensitive," I rambled on by myself.

"What did you say?" Jax asked, trying not to sound curious.

"I told him that this wasn't his fight. I know he loves me, but this isn't something he can interfere in; especially since he doesn't understand his own feelings right now," I answered easily. Jax was quiet the rest of the way until we reached the house. After making it inside, Jax turned to me before we even had a change to sit on the couch.

"If I let you leave right now, would you?" He asked. I hesitated before shaking my head.

"I don't think I can," I answered.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because against my better judgement, I don't want to leave you," I admitted. Jax came closer before holding my cheek gently. As he leaned in, my mind started racing. What was he trying to do?