CHAPTER FOUR

Sour

Her mouth tastes sour, her body also feels sour. Kalthum tried getting up but her body failed miserably. She feels so down that her temperature is also getting too high. Her sister who is in the next room doesn't know anything yet and she is very sure her mom will insult her life when she finds out about this.

Kalthum tried getting up with all her strength which she successfully did. She sat on her bed while holding her head. The headache is a result of the swell on her forehead. How will she get up to perform wudu? She hates missing any prayer. Even if she is sick, Kalthum always makes sure to pray. Speaking with her lord is one of the beautiful things she holds dearly.

She recited a short prayer before standing up with force. She dragged herself to the bathroom to do what was required of her. She finally came out a few minutes later.

Kalthum lay the praying mat and faced the qibla to pray. She makes sure to put all her pains in the prayer. The funniest thing is, she is or rather she and her sister will be leaving for the Dantata's house today. This morning. How will she be able to go with this sickness that she is trying to develop? Her mom wouldn't even allow her to stay behind because at first they were supposed to leave a day before, but it was still Kalthum who pleaded with her for a raised day which then became today, and now that this sickness is trying to form, how will she do?

She folded the mat after she was done, any minute from now her mom would come to call her out. Lucky her, she had already prepared her box yesterday in the morning.

***

Basma dragged her bag to the living room, already prepared. Anyone who sees her will think she was going to a wedding because of how she overdressed herself.

"Where is your sister? " Suwayba asked

" She will be out soon "

Suwayba hissed " She better hurry up. We're running late all because of her"

" she will be out now Mom, don't worry" Basma smiled but deep down she also wished Kalthum would just come out so they could get going. She just can't wait to go to the Dantata's house.

" I have something to talk to you about before your sister comes out," said Suwayba "Come sit here"

Basma became confused. What does her mom want to talk about with her?

"Um okay," she went to sit on the chair beside her mom "What is it, mom? "

" It's about your sister " Suwayba started

Basma swallowed "Erm, what is it about her? " she had a feeling it has something to do with what happened yesterday.

" Hm, your sister is hiding something from us. I know that the excuse she gave yesterday was a lie, I was just not in the mood to argue with her. " she sighed "As her sister, I know you two might have talked about one or two things. I know she might have told you where she went to and how she got those bruises"

"Mom I do-nt

"Please don't lie to me Basma, I'm your mother and I put a lot of trust in you. Please tell me what happened. Where did she tell you she went to? "

" i-i -I don't know. I swear. She didn't tell me anything "

" but I saw you entering her room yesterday in the night and I heard murmurs as if you two were arguing? "

"Mom, I'm telling you the truth. She didn't tell me anything " Basma said firmly

"Are you sure? "

" yes Mom very sure "