15.

"We need to talk," Roscoe made known to Rose who was making herself breakfast in the kitchen. Her face grew confused at the hostile tone in his voice, she turned back seeing him gather his things for the day.

"About what? What happened?" She questioned puzzlingly. She thought their relationship has been going great.

"Maxwell," He said, she opened her mouth to reply but he stopped her. "He called you three in the morning last night," He said lifting his eyes up to her.

She was speechless and didn't know what to say about it.

She shrug, "I don't know why he would call me so late," She responded finding the words she was looking for.

He walked close to her, "Me either but I already spoke to him about it, but you need to as well. Or the "friendship" you two have isn't going to work," He made clear.

"I'll handle it."

"I already did," He said giving her a kiss goodbye and left the house without saying another word. Rose ran her fingers through her wavy hair and sighed heavily in frustration.

Rose sighed, she already had a lot on her plate. Tomorrow would be one year since her mother passed away, and she didn't want to add more stress on herself.

The following day

Rose woke up to a bouquet of beautiful roses next to her along with her favorite chocolate bar, Hersey cookies and creame. Smiling, she picked up the card that was resting below the chocolate bar. She laid on her back and opened it to read. She recognized Roscoe's handwriting. Her heart swell with excitement knowing he left her gifts.

Rosey,
I know today is a rough day for you. I'm sorry that I can't be there with you physically, and hold you all day but know I'm always with you in spirit. I will be home later on tonight, and we will go out together to get your mind off things. I have something planned so please be ready on time. Enjoy your day with Maxwell and I'll see you later on.
I love you.

Rose smiled sadly. Today was the day her mother passed a year ago. She wished Roscoe was here with her but he had work. She sigh loudly and closed her eyes, she was trying to fight back memories of her mother but they were overflowing in her mind. She swallowed the tears that built up her in her chest.

Rose hates crying, she felt like crying made her weak and sensitive. She wasn't weak but she is definitely sensitive as hell.

She turned on her side and allowed the tears to glide down her red cheeks. She missed everything about her mother from her voice to her sweet scent. Even though Rose was closer with David she still had a special bond with her mother. They connected in many ways and cooking was one of them. Her mother is the reason Rose wants to purse a career as a chef.

Rose held her pillow close to her chest and cried her heart out. She was overwhelmed with emotion. She was thinking about how her children and how they would never meet her mother. That hurt Rose to the core but there was nothing she could do.

A few minutes later, Rose crying died down. She wanted to stay in bed all day until Roscoe returned home. She wanted to be wrapped up in his arms— that's when she felt the safest.

Ace begun whining and scratching at Rose bedroom door. He needed to go handle his business.

Rose ignored him but the whines turned into urgent barks. Rose sighed, she got out of bed. She opened her bedroom door and walked over to the stairs with Ace ahead of her. She twist the doorknob to the backdoor and allowed Ace outdoors.