Chapter 15

At first he did not notice the gentle knock on his door as he was completely lost in his thoughts when he sat on his couch in his living room.

Mamoru was supposed to come up with a plan how to defeat Zoisite and thus to get the rainbow crystals back. Surely, they were one step ahead, he was still alive and able to ambush Zoisite if required.

He personally doubted that Kunzite would be that modest and hold himself back this time. The grey haired general would probably wait for his chance, hidden somewhere in the tower. Those circumstances would rather equalize the chances of both parties. Furthermore, the problem of activating the crystals was still on everyone's to do list.

On top of this, he kissed Usagi. This was his main concern anyway. Not that he had not enjoyed any single spectacular mind blowing millisecond of this wonderful, outstanding, mesmerizing and sweet, perfect kiss. It had concealed something in his heart and also had teared down his self-protection completely. Frankly speaking, he had fallen for her. Totally. Ages ago. He was insecure though how to cope with this realization when he would see her again at the Starlight Tower.

A light familiar, sad sound - neither been composed in this time, nor onto this planet - went through his apartments' door and finally got him out of his reverie.

‚It's the melody I've been listening to for my whole life, at least as far as I can remember. It's the melody of the star locket!'

He jumped up from his couch and reached for the apartment door in order to find the source of this lovely music. Slowly he opened it and found himself locking eyes, blue and bright as the sky. Usagi gazed back at him softly.

She held the opened locket in her right hand and shyly started to speak with a silky voice while the melody was still playing and magically surrounded both of them

"Um...I thought I should give it back to you, Mamo-Chan."

He was paralyzed by the blonde girl who stood in his door. Usagi was the same as insecure as Mamoru. She was afraid that he could regret anything he did just a couple of hours ago. Before both had to face their destiny of being a super hero.

He did not reply but kept starring back when the music continued its sweetening sound. Usagi went on further by tilting her head to the side and scratching the back of her head with her free hand.

"It is such a gem. Where did you get it from anyway?"

Gradually he stepped out of his shock, grabbed her arm and pulled her into his apartment without giving her any further answer to her question.

Once he closed the door he found his voice again. Usagi stood in front of him, very unsure how to deal with his reaction, but she was still holding the locket in her little hand.

„I cannot remember to be honest."

He smiled weakly at her, and desperately he tried to hold back his upcoming severe desire.

'I should hug her. I should never let her out of my arms again. I should confess to her that she is the one. I should tell her that I love her.'

Neither of this made it to come out of his mouth but stayed deep in his heart.

Usagi looked down sadly and the locket repeated its charming song, buried deep in its musical box. Mamoru raised his head to the ceiling of his living room and pondered with a melancholic smirk.

„I do like the melody very much. It always reminds me of something good, it tells me to hesitate and to think twice. I guess it is a kind of message hidden in each of its tone but I don't quite understand it."

When he turned his gaze back to Usagi he recognized with a worried look her watering eyes. A single tear left and ran down her cheek silently. His eyes darkened and he put his left hand onto her small shoulder while his other hand touched the golden star locket carefully. He vowed with a resolute voice.

"Regardless what time, date or situation might come. I will always and forever recall this melody since it touches my heart so deeply".

'As you do also, my Odango Atama'

This confession he kept to himself.

His words found their way straight into her heart. They set something free which had been locked down for more than an eternity. The melody was able to heal, to calm, to make someone to reconsider. By making her so utterly sad on one hand it also contained a message promising a happy ending. Somehow, she shared the same feelings as he did.

"Mamo-Chan, what happened in the park"

She had to say it now or never "I just wanted to let you know that -"

Before she could go on by pouring out her heart to him she got interrupted by a greenish flash light which hit the floor of the living room, followed by a horrifying growl.

"How dare you to make a fool of me, Cape Boy! Me, a general of the Dark Kingdom! I am fed up with your poor tricks and will get you for this...and you will pay for it, too...Sailor Moon!"

It was no one else but Zoisite who stepped out of the light. His right hand was clenched in a fist when he hissed to the couple malevolently, his voice filled up with an utmost anger.

Since he perceived a vague feeling that Tuxedo Kamen made it somehow out of the Starlight Tower, Zoisite had decided to go back to Mamoru's apartment in order to find out more about his whereabouts. The girl who was with him at the elevator had looked too much like a certain Sailor brat to him once he was able to digest the events of the Starlight Tower. As he found them both now alive in Mamoru's apartment, his suspicion was confirmed.

Immediately Mamoru got in front of Usagi who was in such a shock that she was not able to move. He was strongly determined to accept the challenge and would protect her, regardless what may happen.

Encouraged by Mamorus self-confidence the general also took on a fighting position. While she was standing behind Mamoru's back, Usagi was able to switch on the communicator and silently pressed the help button so the Senshi would be able to track her. She was not sure if they would stay in this apartment for a longer time.

„I just decided to prepone our encounter if you don't mind." By saying this Zoisite raised his right hand and snapped his fingers. Suddenly the green flash reappeared and surrounded Usagi and Mamoru.

Before the light was able to absorb them and carried both away, five magical words were spoken out lout in order to start what now had become unavoidable; A final showdown against the evil general of the Dark Kingdom.