Pom Poms ♡: Jhene Aiko

(2,063 words)

Y/n's POV

"Gotcha," my niece giggled after smacking my butt with her lacrosse stick. I shifted my attention away from stacking drinks into the cooler, and began to chase her around the parking lot. I quickly ran out of breath and dramatically pretended to collapse on the ground. 

"You know, I'm expecting you to catch more than just my butt with that stick today Mia,"  I yelled while chucking my pom poms at her. I watched her catch both of them as she propped herself up on the back of my truck.

"Believe me auntie, your jaw's gonna drop to the floor when you see how good I am out there".

While I laid on the ground, I started to apply my red and blue face make up to match her team colors. I'm kind of notorious for being the unofficial cheerleader of the Brownfield Bulldogs girls lacrosse team. I think it's a fitting title considering I cheered all throughout my high school and college years. It way better than being one of the Karen's drinking their coffee cup margarita's on the sidelines. 

"Mia, you know I'm gonna rep you and love you regardless of weather you win or not. Even if you did nothing but catch turf in that stick I would be just as proud of you if you won," I said while she helped me up off of the ground.

"Yeah yeah, but I'm playing center today. My teammates are counting on me to tear up the field today".

"I know you can do it Mia, don't stress about it too much. Plus I'm gonna be cheering for you during the whole game. REPPING BULLDOGS PLAYER NUMBE- Watch out!"

Before I could turn to see who was interrupting my cheer, I got nailed in the face with a ball from one of the opposing players. 

"HOLY HELL MIA. These the types of balls that you be catching? This frickin' hurts," I said while tightly clutching my eye. I felt Mia's tiny body straddle my waist and try to pry my hand off of my eye.

"Auntie are you okay? Lemme see it," she asked while I nudged her off of my waist.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. We did not mean to do that on purpose. I warned my daughter not to throw it so far but I guess she overestimated her throw. Say sorry Namiko."

I uncovered my eye to be met with a cute little girl in boxer braids and teary eyes. Next to her was a tall woman, her arms littered with colorful tattoos. I noted the way her white tank top emphasized her large muscles and glowing skin. Not to mention the absence of a ring on her left hand. Talk about the hottest bachelor in town.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to throw it towards you. I'm just so nervous for this game and this is my first day playing center..."

I chuckled while watching her ramble on about how jittery she was feeling about the play. Mia pressed a cold La Croix to my eye from the cooler,in attempts to minimize the swelling. I felt a gaze burn into the side of my head but I shook it off - wanting to focus on what the little girl in front of me was saying. 

I took her hands into mine, "It's alright sweetheart. Don't sweat it, I'm sure it was just a freak accident. Even though you're on the opposing team, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Calm down a little bit, have a La Croix".  

Mia took the conversation into her own hands and began to bond with the girl about playing center.

"Again, I'm so sorry about your eye. Would you mind if I just took a little look at it - I'm sure it can't be that bad," another voice questioned from besides me. 

I had completely forgotten about the other woman and became startled by her voice. I slowly removed the can from my eye, hearing a faint "oh wow" in response. The girl stared down at me in silence with a parted jaw.