Eighteen

PIP GLARED at the Doctor in frustration.

"You looked into the eyes of an Angel, didnt you?" The Doctor was internally panicking, knowing what her next words would be.

"Yeah. Back in the drop ship, with the angel coming out of the tele" her glare faltered.

"Listen to me, Pip. It's messing with your head. Your hand is not made of stone" he spoke quietly.

Pip scoffed at him, her glare hardening once again.

"Well look at this. Stone! My hand is bloody stone, you clever boy! Are you blind?"

"It's in your mind, I promise you. You can move that hand. You can let go" he tried to reassure her.

"Well I'm trying, but I can't. My hand is stone. End of"

"The Angel is going to come and it's going to turn this light off, and then there's nothing I can do to stop it, so do it. Concentrate. Move your hand, Pip"

"I can't for goodness sake!" She cried out in panic.

"Then we're both going to die" he told her, rather bluntly.

"You mean I'm going to die. You're living, sonny Jim, whether you like it or not"

"They'll kill the lights" he told her, extremely worried for the brunette.

"Well go. They need you, you know. Or have you forgotten? They need you to save the day, be the hero. Leave me here. You've got the future to live through, amazing places to visit, enemies to defeat. It's all out there waiting for you, Doctor. Now leave me, you clever boy"

Her words made his eyes water. He felt something he hadn't felt in a long time. Now he understood why he felt this way, why he had been feeling this way ever since he came back for her and Amy. He understood perfectly, and he was not about to leave her here.

"I'm not leaving you, Pippa Danforth"

Just seconds after he said this, the statues arrived.

"Keep your eyes on them. Don't move" he warned her. The brunette, already have learned this the hard way, obeyed.

"Just run, for goodness sake! Everything I told you. Everything that's going to happen. Run. Run!" She shouted desperately, in attempt to persuade the Doctor.

"I am not leaving you here. Not going to happen"

"You're not dying here Doctor. Not for me. Just leave!" She shouted.

"You can move your hand" he told her, the brunette shaking her head in anger.

"For the last time, my hand is stone!"

"It's not stone, Pip"

"Just go, Doctor! Those people up there. Octavian. Amy. River. They'll all be dead if you stay down here. You need to be up there with them. You're so clever, Doctor, how can someone so clever be so stupid?"

"Pip Danforth. The girl of the stars. You're absolutely incredible, and I'm so, so sorry"

Her glare softened. He understood. Finally, after what felt like hours, he understood. They'd all be safe. Amelia, River, Octavian. They'd survive.

"You don't need to apologise. Now go, they need you"

"I'm not leaving you. I'm apologising for this"

As soon as he finished, he bit her hand.

"Ow!" She cried, her hand seemingly not stone anymore.