Twenty Eight

"IT'S REALLY cold. Have you got any warn clothing?" Pip heard the ginger pacing back and forth.

"What does it matter if we're cold?! We have to know what she is up to!" Was the Doctor's snarky reply.

"Excuse me, clever boy. In case you forgot, there are three humans in this box whom don't take nicely to being cold!" Pip snapped, the Doctor's eyes widening in realization.

"Sorry, sorry. There should be some stuff down there. Have a look" the Doctor pointed toward the lower level below them. Amy and Pip wanted no time in charging down the stairs, half giggling at how childish they were being.

"I want the other life. You know, where we're happy and settled and about to have a baby" Rory sulked unhappily. He hoped the other dream was real, and not this.

Amy heard his words, and was silent for a moment, before choosing to reply.

"But don't you wonder, if that life is real, then why would we give up all this? Why would anyone?"

"Alfie"

The ginger turned to look at the smaller brunette at those words. She sent a sympathetic smile, before pulling her in for a hug.

The two girls gathered blankets, and walked together upstairs.

"I was promised amazing worlds, instead I get duff central heating and a weird, kitcheny wind-up device" Rory complained, examining the generator he had been given a few seconds prior.

"It's a generator. Get winding"

"So, why is the Dream Lord picking on you then? I mean, he's got some nerve, but the point is that he knows you. So you know him" Pip half ranted, whilst turning to look at the Doctor.

Just as she finished, the scanner came to life, lighting up the dimly lit Tardis.

"Where are we?" The ginger asked, as she walked to stand next to Pip.

"We're in trouble"

"What is that?"

"A star. A cold star" the Doctor muttered in disbelief.

He then walked towards the Tardis doors, opening them.

"That's why we're freezing. It's not a heating malfunction. We're drifting towards a cold sun. There's our danger for this version of reality"

"You've got to be joking" Pip pinched the bridge of her nose, feeling a sense of anxiety slowly take over her.

"So this is the dream. There's no such thing as a cold star. Stars burn" Amy announced.

"Yeah, but if you think of it another way, it is still burning. It's just burning cold instead" Pip pointed out, a confused Rory furrowed his eyebrows.

"Is that even possible?"

"I can't know everything. Why does everyone expect me to, always?" The Doctor half yelled out of frustration.

"Okay, this is something you haven't seen before. So does that mean this is a dream then?" Rory asked, Pip mentally facepalming. Another question that can't be answered.

"I don't know, but there it is, and I'd say we've got about fourteen minutes until we crash into it. But that's not a problem" the Doctor muttered the last part, still messing with the controls, as if the Tardis would suddenly respond, and everything would be okay. It doesn't work like that, though, obviously.

"Because you know how to get us out of this?" Rory asked, genuinely hoping for some good news.

"No, because we would have frozen to death by the time the Tardis crashes into it. Come on, Rory. A cold star. It's like trying to survive in Antarctica with only a pair of shorts and a short sleeved top. You'd ve frozen within under an hour" Pip rolled her eyes, the stupidity of some people.