Chapter 1: Defiance

Breathless shouting can be heard all over the sports arena. This was Harumi's first inter-high competition in Shiratorizawa. 

5 seconds left and the team is behind by only 1 point.

The coach started yelling to the team countless strategies that they should use to garner the championship. Nods were made by each of the girls of the basketball team. However, the team's rookie, Harumi wasn't listening at all. As she concentrated on calming her breathing, she devised several scenarios played in her mind. 

I got it! Harumi thought to herself.

With a few seconds left for the time out, Harumi brought the water bottle she was carrying to her mouth and locked eyes with one of her teammates who in return gave a nod back, agreeing to whatever she was thinking. 

With the whistle being blown by the referee, the final seconds of the fourth quarter began.  As the team went to their designated positions, screams started getting louder telling the team to push forward and score. 

Harumi received the ball and started dribbling the ball towards the basket. She performed dribbling techniques which resulted in an ankle breaker to the player guarding her. Earning more shouts to getting louder. 

Two Seconds left.

Harumi said to herself and ran towards the three-point line and made the final shot. 'Swish' With the final bell of the fourth quarter, Shiratorizawa Academy won against Seiko High with a score of 99-97. 

The audience went wild and started clapping and screaming Harumi's name. "Kazuko!" "Kazuko!" "Kazuko!" 

Harumi released the breathe she was holding and started cheering as well. We won the championships! She thought to herself as her teammates started running towards her and cheered her on. 

"Harumi-chan that was one cheeky move but I'm so glad you made that shot!" Her senior said as she painfully slapped her back. "Although the coach will give you a beating for not listening to what he said." Rin, her friend and teammate, nonchalantly said. "You were the one that passed the ball to me" Harumi shot back and made a face. The team then started heading back to their respective areas and bowed to the respective people "Thank you for the game!"

Harumi stood up proud and couldn't contain her smile any longer. "Good game girls" The coach happily smiled as he started patting each of the girl's back and congratulating them individually. However, when it came to Harumi, a sinister glare was sent her way. "Kazuko, a word later" The coach's voice boomed throughout the crowd. Harumi and the rest of her teammates flinched, knowing what is to come due to the girl's actions.  The team is now headed back to school after celebrating their win treated by their coach. All the members are now asleep except for the very anxious Harumi who was expecting the worst from their coach back at school. 

When the team arrived at Shiratorizawa Academy, the girls then thank their coach and advisor. "Good job today team, this will serve as your last competition for the year. Of course, practice will continue on after school days. I will discuss each of your techniques and gameplay next week." The coach sighed and glanced at Harumi "Kazuko, come with me." He said and began walking towards the club room. Everyone began getting nervous for the redhead whispering Goodluck as they dispersed and headed home. 

There was only silence as Harumi began to nervously walk towards her coach. Now, this is awkward. Harumi though as her coach simply stared at her with slight annoyance in his eye. "You idiot!" He shouted while hitting her head. "After I agreed to be your coach, this is the type of treatment I get from you" The coach pointed his finger at her and glared menacingly. "Nii-san" Harumi started but as she glanced up, she saw how disappointed her brother was. "I'm sorry," She said in defeat. 

Another sigh was heard from the much taller redhead. "At least you scored the shot" He tiredly said and brought a hand towards his face. "But, like I said, please listen to what I say." He looked at his younger sister and flicked her forehead. "Hey, that hurts," She said as she rubbed the sore spot. "But wasn't I amazing, Itsuki nii-san!" Harumi's eyes started sparkling as she proudly stared at her older brother. "Yeah, you were. Keep it up" He smiled but then remembered why he pulled her from the group. "Just remember to keep in mind what I say and keep out of trouble!" He shouted as they began leaving the campus. "Alright, alright." She chuckled and continued walking home. 

Kazuko Harumi, the rising ace of Shiratorizawa's Girl's Basketball team, walks home with a proud smile etched in her face.

*Author's Note*

So, what do you guys think?

The picture above is what I imagine Harumi to be

Thanks so much!