Chapter 10: Closer

When the bell rang, indicating the match was over, I felt relieved. I was tired because of the amount of energy I exerted in today's practice. I wanted to release the stress of school and Aomine so I went all out today.

I walked towards the team to listen to what the coach was saying and sat down behind everyone else.

"Everyone did great today. Practicing our gameplays is essential and it comes in handy when it becomes second nature to you," the coach said as some of the girls circled around him.

"Always think about two things when in-game: what your team is doing and what the other team is doing as well. This gives us a great chance to formulate what strategy we'll be taking." He gave us all a nod and then looks at me. Great, what did I do now?

He sighs and looks at everyone again, "Always remember the basics when playing basketball. Keep your arms up during defense and never get too comfortable when your team has the upper hand." He looks at me at the end of what he was saying then clears his throat.

"Okay, that's it for today, ladies. Start cooling down and remember to clean up after." The coach says and leaves the gym.

Everyone left and started cooling down but I remained in my seat. I placed the towel I was holding on top of my head to hide my face because I was getting teary-eyed at what my brother said. He always looks at my mistakes. I clench my fists and close my eyes in frustration.

I guess I need to practice my defensive position. I thought to myself as I tried processing what happened during the game.

"Harumi," a familiar voice called out and I look up to see Rin walking towards me. She stops midway when she saw my dejected state.

Her eyes soften and she sits down beside me. Rin has always known my frustrations. She was always there when I complained about my brother and training.

"I already know," I said. Knowing her she would probably say the words along the lines of he's doing this because he sees the potential in you or he just wants you to improve certain qualities you lack.

I felt her pat my back as she leans beside me and tries comforting me."You did great today, Harumi. You probably scared some of the freshmen watching today" Rin said, trying to lighten up the situation.

"That's because her new boyfriend is watching her today," I heard another voice say and I look up to see Kyo walking towards us as she points her thumb towards the two men sitting by the benches.

I wasn't really in the mood for teasing after such an intense game and glared menacingly at Kyo. She flinches and jumps back, trying to keep a distance between us.

"Me and Harumi may not get along well, but I'll be glad to see her skin you alive, Kyo." Kou, her twin sister, said nodding at me.

"Good job today, Harumi. Although, that last one you did was not what coach said." She said and left the three of us alone.

"Don't mind my sister. She's just annoyed cos she wasn't part of the starting line-up," Kyo said lightening the mood.

I sighed and began fixing my tired state. I cleaned my red hair in a much more presentable ponytail. I was about to remove my jersey to change but I was stopped mid-way. "Harumi, there are guys around," Rin said pointing behind her. I turn around and saw the two men talking among themselves. When Ushijima-kun looks my way, I wave at them and Ushijima-kun nods in return.

"Putting on a show for the boyfriend I see." Kyo teases and that's when I felt a vein popping. When Kyo saw my enraged stare she smiles at me for a while then suddenly sprints to the bathroom with me chasing after her. "You're dead, Kyo!" I shout embarrassed at what she had just implied.