Chapter 15: Teaching Him

Today, Wakatoshi invited me to watch his practice match. He mentioned that it would start after training. This, however, worries me a bit because the volleyball team might be tired during their practice match and may end up straining themselves. 

I glance at the man beside me. Wakatoshi was quietly writing down his notes as he listened to the teacher.

I should probably focus on class as well but this is the first time I get to watch the "Great Ace" of Shiratorizawa's Volleyball Club.  The number one ace in the Miyagi Prefecture and one of the top aces in the country!

I'm getting too excited about this. I furiously shake my head as I try concentrating in class. Still, this is the first time I'm watching something other than basketball.

Before I got acquainted with Wakatoshi, I wasn't really interested in anything else. But, knowing that my friend is someone who has made a title for himself because of his skill and talent is amazing in itself.

I sigh and look outside the window. I do wish time can move faster. Inter-High Preliminaries are coming up soon and I can't wait to compete against strong opponents. 

After all, the coach, who is, unfortunately, my brother, has been adamant in drilling several strategies and techniques in our heads. At times, when we practice our defense and offense plays, some of the boy's basketball members are invited to play with and against us. 

Every time the coach could see us faltering or not performing the play properly he gets really pissed and makes us do strenuous drills.

What's terrifying is that it's the type of drills that ends with me collapsing on the floor forgetting how's it like to breathe. 

"Kazuko-kun?" I heard someone say, and when I came to, I realize my teacher was asking me something but I was too distracted.  "Yes?" I blurted as I stand up, trying to figure out what was happening before I got distracted.

"Can you read the next paragraph in English?" the teacher asks, making me even more nervous since I wasn't really paying attention. 

"Err-" I look down at the paper the teacher handed out, slightly anxious of getting caught zoning out.  I glance at Wakatoshi's direction and I notice that he was pointing at the last paragraph as he slightly turns to my direction.

"All of it?" I asked as I tried to subtly confirm my assumption.  "Yes, until the end please," The teacher says smiling at me, ah so I was correct. Thanks, Wakatoshi!

When class ended, I turn to my right and tap the shoulder of the olive-haired man beside me. Wakatoshi looks at me as I smile at him, putting my palms together and slightly bow my head. 

"Thank you so much for saving me a while ago, Wakatoshi. I owe you one!" I exclaimed, feeling grateful that I wasn't caught dozing off in class. "You weren't paying attention in class, Harumi," He says, making me flinch and look away.

"Well I wouldn't really say 'not paying attention' but..." I protested, looking for an excuse as to why I was distracted.

I won't admit to him that I got excited for his practice match. It's too embarrassing!

"If you're tired, you don't have to watch the practice match later," He asserted as he turns even more to my direction.

"It's not that. I was just getting antsy since the Inter-High Preliminaries is coming up soon," I half-lied, looking away from the intimidating man.