Chapter 7: Teammates

"Kazuko! Your arms are too low," the coach, who is also my brother, scolded. I adjusted my posture and proceeded to do the rest of the drills.

Today, the coach said that the next few weeks will be filled with improving the basics of basketball. No games at first because we haven't practiced in a while and the coach thinks we've been slacking off. 

Some of the girls we already breathless and this did not go unnoticed. "Tired already?" The coach said getting more agitated. 

"No coach!" the girls shouted in unison, pushing the limits. 

"Kazuko! This is the second time I'm seeing the same mistake," My brother said rather menacingly. "Sorry, Coach!" I said adjusting my arm once more. 

We continued several drills and I could tell some of the girls were getting tired already. I was starting to sweat even more and I could tell I'm well at my limit. At the last drill, I could feel my knees buckle as I tried holding myself up and catch my breath. 

"Alright gather around," The coach shouted as we formed a semi-circle with him in front of us. He looked at each of us and sighs.

"I'll be leaving the drills to Kayame and I hope each of you will diligently follow your captain." He was then glaring at me, "There are some of you who are slacking in form and technique." I flinched and looked away feeling upset. Why does it always have to be me? I thought getting pissed. 

"Leave it to me, Coach!" The captain said. She bowed "Thank you for today, Coach!" and everyone shouted in unison thanking my annoying brother.

My brother nodded and left the gymnasium as the girls started cooling down by stretching.  I sighed and headed to the usual group of people I hang out with. 

"It's okay, Haru-chan. You know why the coach is strict with you." Rin said to me looking concerned. "Yeah! Heck, maybe he should even be more strict with us!" My other friend, Kyo said and started laughing. "She's only saying that because she lacks oxygen in her brain right now" Kou, her twin sister replied. "Hey, that's offensive!" We started laughing at pouting Kyo. 

These girls were the few freshmen who were chosen to be part of the team last year.

Shiratorizawa's girl's basketball team was a force to be reckoned with. Every year they were able to participate in the nationals and win the championships. I can proudly even say that I was part of the team during last year's championship. We've grown a lot since last year. These girls, I consider them as my family and I would do anything for them. 

First, there was Minako Rin.

The closest person I'm within the team since we both attended the same Junior High. Rin was a giant. She's probably just as tall as Ushijima. Her tall and lean body earned her position as the center of the team. Meaning, she was the main defender of the team during matches. Her in-court presence doesn't compare to her pleasant attitude with her friends. Inside the court, she turns into a 190 cm tall beast that does nothing but defends our court during defensive plays. In contrast, outside the court, she becomes the mother of the team. She makes sure to put us in place whenever we started acting recklessly and playfully. Rin has a cheery aura as well, with her ash-blonde curls and playful smile, people do get surprised when she enters the court. 

Then there are the Ayame twins.

These two girls looked so alike that one of them colored their hair white while the other one colored her hair midnight black. At first, it was useful to confuse the team we're against but their similar features confused us as well. Although, their attitude is wildly different that it surprises me.