Chapter 14: Invitation

After cooling down with the girls, I decided that I should pay a visit to the volleyball players next door. 

I wanted to thank Wakatoshi for being there for me when I had my little breakdown. We really didn't have the time to chat because we were about to be late for practice. 

This could also be my chance to finally see the "Great Ace of Shiratorizawa Academy's Men's Volleyball club" in action. 

Ever since I was acquainted with Wakatoshi, I've heard countless rumors from my teammates. And all I could say is, damn. To think that his talent and skill was already recognized during middle school was amazing enough. 

I was amazed at how the man I constantly bicker with is the number one ace of the Miyagi prefecture and, what's more, he's also one of the top aces in the country. 

Upon hearing the title Wakatoshi earned, I was motivated even more to do better and work even harder.

I can't fall behind! I thought to myself, getting excited as I hurried to the gym entrance. 

However, things didn't go as planned because when I was by the door, I was met with a ball hitting my face.
"Gah!," I exclaimed as I jumped back in surprise, trying to hold back my tears. When I looked up I saw a copper-haired guy frowning down at me from the stairs. "Who are you?" he glowered. 

Embarrassed, I bowed my head not knowing what else to say at a time like this. 

"I'm sorry! I didn't want to bother your training, I was just looking for Wakatoshi," I blurted, trying my best to hide my reddening face.
"Huh, what the hell do you want with Ushijima-san?" Looking up, I saw the unknown man was giving me a menacing glare.

Startled, I start walking backward, trying to escape the situation. "I can just come back next time...," I stammered.

"Shirabu," a low voice boomed behind the copper-colored haired man in front of me. "Ushijima-san!," the guy named Shirabu instantly reddened as he faced the man I was looking for. 

Wakatoshi's eye locked with mine and I could notice how his eyes slightly widened as well, probably because of my teary eyes and red face.
He looks at the Shirabu person with a slight frown and nodded "Go inside and practice more on your sets." 

The man nods and proceeds inside the gymnasium.

When the Shirabu guy was gone, Wakatoshi walks towards me and looks at me with questioning eyes.

"I just wanted to speak with you before I take my leave," I said scratching my head and looking down to the ground slightly embarrassed. 

"Are you okay?" I look up and see there was a light frown on Wakatoshi's face. 

I straighten myself up and blew out my cheeks. "I'm fine, I'm fine. When I peeped inside the gymnasium, a ball went flying to my face," I admitted, rubbing the sore spot on my face. 

He nods and goes inside the gym, leaving me behind and, frankly, dumbfounded. Eh? Taken aback, I was about to leave the area when I heard Wakatoshi return once more.

"Here," He says while handing me his water bottle. I look at him questioningly, wondering what I'll do with his bottle. 

"It's cold. You can apply it on your head to lessen the pain," I smiled at the gesture but I shake my head. 

"Don't you still have training? You might need it," I said while peering inside the gym. 

"We're about to cool down. Training is over," He said as he continued handing me the water bottle. "Alright, fair enough," I said.