Chapter 2: Meeting

Time passed and it was now the beginning of a new school year in Shiratorizawa Academy.

"Man, I can't believe we aren't in the same class this year," Rin said as we walked towards the building.

"I wonder when will the club festival begin," I said as we looked for our respective classrooms.

"It's just the first day of class and your head is already all about basketball. How lame" Rin said amusement laced in her voice. "Oh well. What can you expect from a basketball freak" She sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

I then looked at her while walking backward in the crowded hallway. "Hey what do you mean by basketball freak," I said pouting.

"Hey! you might hit someone if you keep doing that," Rin said worriedly and pushed my shoulders trying to make me face forward.

"Don't worry. I'm a basketball freak, right? I have the reflexes of a tige-" I stopped midway when I accidentally hit something.

"Ah jeez. I told you so. Alright, I'm off loser" Rin said hurriedly walking to her classroom. Leaving me behind and embarrassed.

I turned around and my eyes widened when all I saw was someone's broad chest. I jumped back in surprise and looked up only to see a pair of dark olive green eyes staring intently back at me.

"Class 2-1? His deep voice echoed throughout the now almost empty hallway. I stared back at the tall man and nodded.

"I believe we haven't met yet." I smiled as we both proceeded inside the classroom. "We haven't," He said as he looked my way then at the chaotic class before us. "I'm Kazuko Harumi and I play point guard!" I said and held my hand out. "Point guard?" He looked at me curiously and tilted his head to the side.

Geh! Why did I mention my position in basketball?! I inwardly screamed at myself. I am a basketball freak.

"Sorry, I play basketball and that's my usual position in court. I don't know why I told you that" I said as I scratched my head and laughed awkwardly. "I guess it's just a habit of mine." The guy just continued staring at me unmoving and I started getting more and more anxious.

"Ushijima Wakatoshi, Wing Spiker." He said mimicking me in a monotonous tone, I almost missed the small smile in his face. "Wing-spiker? So you're a volleyball player?" I asked. With his height he can pass off as a basketball player I thought to myself as I eyed him up and down. "Yes" He said and then proceeded to find a spot in the classroom. "So Ushijima-kun, mind if I sit beside you?" I asked as he placed his bag a table next to the window. "I don't mind." I smiled and took a seat beside him and right next to the window.

My eyes then began to wander around the classroom looking for familiar faces. I saw some of my previous classmates but I'm not particularly close with any of them since all I do after class is head to the gym and practice with the team. I placed my arms in front of me and laid my head down as we waited for the teacher. There were a few chairs left which meant some students haven't arrived yet. At least it wasn't that noisy, I hummed in happiness but that moment of happiness instantly died when I heard someone screaming my 'name'.

"Burger-chan!" A loud and very annoying voice said. I ignored a few times until I felt someone tap on my shoulder. I looked up and saw that it was Ushijima-kun. "Your friend is calling you." He said in a matter of fact tone looking a bit annoyed and pointed towards the blue-haired man who wouldn't stop calling me. "Sorry about him, I thought he would go away." I sighed in defeat as I went towards the door.

"What do you want Aomine-baka?" I asked with a very annoyed expression. "Is that what you're going to say to your long time best friend?" He said annoyingly and 'fake' cried right in front of me. "We even agreed to go to school together and when I went to your house your annoying brother was the only one there." He said clearly irritated and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"I told you I wanted to go alone," I said and looked around the now empty hallway. "What class are you anyway? Aren't you going to be late? The bell will ring anytime soon." I said worriedly. "Aww. Burger-chan is worried about me" He said while pinching my cheeks.

"Class 2-2," He said proudly and grinned at me. "We're not only neighbors but also class-neighbors as well" He chuckled and grabbed my shoulders surprising me.

"Let's eat lunch together later and go home together too!" He said so sure that I will agree. "No, I'll have lunch with Rin and the others," I said and sighed as I saw him looking at me with pleading eyes. "But fine, I guess we can walk home together after class," I said going inside my classroom. "Yes! She finally agreed with me!" I heard him say and I simply rolled my eyes at that obnoxious idiot.

As I got back to my seat, I noticed Ushijima-kun looking through a sports magazine, particularly at the volleyball section. "Oh, so you're the type to read through sports articles?" I asked and looked his way. He looked my way and nodded then continued on with what he was reading.

A man of few words I guess. I thought and sighed as I looked out the window.

"Don't you read sports articles?" I heard the man beside me asks. I turn his way surprised he started talking to me. "I'm sorta not into that. I don't even watch basketball aired on television." I said and glanced at his magazine.

"You might learn something new." He said and turned his magazine to the basketball section. "Here, you can borrow it for a while if you want." He said while giving me the magazine. "Are you sure?" I asked taking the magazine and glancing at the basketball section, curiosity filling me.

He nodded at me and then proceeded to take another magazine article from his bag surprising me once more. I looked at him surprised and began chuckling. He looked my way and stared at me curiously waiting for me to answer him.

"I'm just surprised you have another sports magazine with you. Just how many magazines do you bring?" I said and continue chuckling at him. "There are times the volleyball section is short. I bring several magazines just in case." He said with furrowed brows. I hummed in response and began minding my own business.

Ushijima Wakatoshi eh? What an interesting person.