Chapter 12: Comfort

Harumi was running faster than usual.

This is what Wakatoshi observed thirty minutes after they started running. The accustomed carefree look Harumi had was now replaced with a small frown and focused eyes. 

He could tell something was bothering her even before their usual afternoon jog but he didn't know what to say or do.

Even if they were friends and classmates for a few months now, Wakatoshi still had difficulty understanding the red-head girl. In general, he still had difficulty understanding people but, to him, it doesn't really matter.  

Although, when it concerns her, things did start changing for the tall stoic man. Even if he doesn't notice it.

Wakatoshi then suddenly notices how the pair weren't on their usual path as they began running up a very steep hill.

He really didn't mind but he could tell that he was exerting more energy than usual as his breathing became more ragged and uneven as they continued running the incline. 

Suddenly, the red-head girl stops when they reached the top of the hill. 

Harumi was panting as she leaned forward and held herself by placing her hands on her knees. While the tall man simply looked the other way, making it seem as if he wasn't that out of breath as well. 

When her breathing started to relax, Harumi glances at Wakatoshi and smiles up at him.

Wakatoshi, confused with her action, shakes his head and sighs.

"You can talk to me, Harumi," He says, finally breaking the silence between the two.

To his surprise, Harumi's eyes broke into a pained expression and looks away. 

"I don't know what you mean, Ushijima-kun," the girl said as she tried calming herself, and turns towards the direction they came from. 

However, before she could walk away, Wakatoshi grabs her hand, making her look up at his olive-green orbs. There was a slight frown on his face as he continued staring at her. Silently asking her to talk to him. 

Harumi knows what the tall man was referring to but she didn't want to admit why she was feeling that way.

She didn't want to admit that she just wanted her idiotic best friend back. She didn't want to admit how school was getting more and more difficult for her. She didn't want to admit how training was making her feel less and less disheartened for the sport.

She didn't want to admit any of these hardships she has recently been facing, because if she did, she didn't know how to handle it. 

As these thoughts started running through her, Harumi's eyes started watering as she tried her best to not look at the man.

She didn't want people seeing her weak state. There are people expecting so many things for her and she has to live up to them. 

"It's just-" Harumi said as she tried pulling her arm away.

Wakatoshi reluctantly lets her arm go and his eyes soften as he looks at the state of his friend. She may show her happy-go-lucky attitude to everyone but Wakatoshi could sense, at least today, that something was really bothering her. 

"It's just that I feel like things aren't going the way I thought it would," Harumi continues and looks off at the view before them. The hill they ran up to oversees the beautiful sunset covering a portion of Sendai city.

Wakatoshi nods and patiently waits for her to continue.

He wanted her to feel that he's there for her when she needs someone, and, even if he usually has trouble conveying what he wants to say, his silence was comforting for the red-head. It was enough for Harumi. 

Harumi lowly chuckles as she continues, "First, is that blue-haired idiot avoiding me like the plague. Then there's me not understanding math. And then there's training." She says and kicks an innocent pebble lying near her foot. 

"I'm falling behind, Wakatoshi," Her voice cracks as she finally admits her situation. Harumi looks up at the orange sky above them as she tried her best not to cry even more. 

Wakatoshi, understanding what she meant, nods and, as awkward as it may have felt, began closing the distance between them and hugs her.

Although the two athletes are taller than most people, Wakatoshi leans down at Harumi as he tries his best to give his friend a comforting hug. 

Harumi could tell that Wakatoshi wasn't used to the affectionate action and chuckles a bit before hugging the taller male back. 

The action itself made Wakatoshi's face redden but he wanted to be there for Harumi. He doesn't necessarily understand why but seeing Harumi all low-spirited and unhappy made him do things he doesn't usually do. 

"I'm here for you, Harumi," Wakatoshi whispers as he pulls away, holding her shoulders and looks at her with his unwavering olive-green eyes.

Realizing the amount of little space between the two, Wakatoshi slowly lets her go and looks at the city view, trying his best to hide the small blush on his cheeks. 

To his dismay, Harumi could clearly see the blush on his face but decided not to tease him about it. She simply chuckles at the tall man and gives him a genuine smile. 

"I appreciate it, Wakatoshi. Thank you," She says as she looks at the city view as well.

--

Author's note:

I hope you all appreciate this chapter :))

Here's a bit of Wakatoshi trying to comfort Harumi and Harumi showing that she isn't all that perfect (and that's okay!).

As always, thank you for reading!