Chapter 3: Friends

The class went on in such a boring matter since it's just the beginning of the school year. It was all introductions of the teacher, class, and the subject.

What was interesting was how Ushijimi-kun and I were alike but also different.

Whenever we had to introduce ourselves to the teacher, we had to mention something interesting or a fact about ourselves.

I, of course, answer that I play basketball. And what's funny is the guy after me would answer the same thing but he would say that he plays volleyball. Every time this would happen I would steal glances towards his direction only to meet a pair of olive green eyes glancing back at me. This went on until we heard the bell indicating that its lunchtime.

"Do you want to eat lunch together?" A strong voice said beside me. I looked at the source of the voice and saw Ushijima-kun standing beside me and looking my way.

"Sorry, I plan to eat lunch with a few friends of mine," I said as I stand up and raised a hand to say sorry. Ushijima-kun nodded and agreement but continued to stare at me. "Is there something I can help you with?" I leaned closer and peered at his dark olive green eyes.

He was about to say something when I heard Aoime call me. "Yo! Shorty-chan. Let's go to the cafeteria together." He said while yawning. This guy was probably asleep the whole time in class. "Alright, Aomine-baka. Wait up." I shouted back at the blue-haired idiot. I turned back to Ushijima-kun "You were saying?" I asked and waited for him to continue but he shook his head and then left the classroom. What's up with him? I asked myself as I headed towards Aomine who had a surprised look in his face.

"What?" I asked as we began walking towards the cafeteria. "Do you know who you were just talking to?" He asked placing his arm on my shoulder as we continued walking. "He's Ushijima Wakatoshi. A volleyball player. Why?" I asked and started looking for my friends as we arrived at the cafeteria.

"He's really popular around here Harumi. I'm surprised you don't that but-" He chuckled to himself. "knowing you, being the basketball freak you are, you almost live under a rock. And- Oh I see Rin-chan. Let's go over there and say Hi!" He said excitedly and walks toward their table and grabs my hand as we do so.

Daiki Aomine is a long time friend of mine. We've known each other since pre-school and have been inseparable since. We both got along more when I told him I liked basketball and started playing together. We were even dubbed "The Dynamic Basketball Duo" by our parents. Saying that if we're both together we don't do anything but play basketball. It is partly true but we hang out a lot as well. He's practically my brother and I am really grateful that he's my best friend.

When I decided to move out of my parent's house with my brother and enroll in Shiratorizawa Academy, Aomine was ecstatic knowing that his best friend is going to be living right next to him and will be going to the same school he attends. My parents were worried at first but when they found out Aomine was my neighbor they agreed 100%. They trusted the guy like he was their own son and entrusted their daughter with his care. They didn't trust my brother in taking care of me because the only thing he's good at is being a basketball player and coach.

Aomine is a great basketball player too. He may even be the greatest basketball player that I personally know. Of course, I will never tell him that. His ego might grow even more than it already has. We practice together a lot, especially since there's a sports court right in front of our houses. He taught me many techniques and practiced with me all the time. With that being said, I can say our skills are almost at par. The idiot has more stamina than me because, unlike him, I take breaks from time to time. And, He's taller than me by a lot. The idiot is a 192 cm giant while I'm only 180 cm, taller than most girls but still shorter than the idiot.

We reached the table of my friends and Aomine started greeting them. "Rin-chan! It's been so long since we last met" He said nodding in her direction. "Well if it isn't Daiki-kun" She said smiling at him then looks at our entwined hands. Her smile quickly turning into a disgusted scowl and a menacing aura surrounded her. "If you guys keep acting lovey-dovey in front of me I will chop off both your arms." She said sending daggers at our hands. I quickly retracted my hand and sat beside Rin. Aomine gave away a hurt expression then 'cried' as he tried grabbing my hand again. I tried to dodge him but he was too quick for me.

"Jeez, if you guys keep acting like that everyone will think you're a couple or something." Kyo, my other friend, said giving us a disgusted look. Aomine grinned at us and showed our entwined hands. "I don't mind." And chuckled while looking at me.

I sighed and, with all my might, I pinched his hand. He gave out a loud yelp making a few people look at our directions. "That's mean Haru-chan" He said aiding his hand. "Serves you right, Aomine-baka" I said giving a face. "Go to your friends already," I said and pointed towards his usual table. "Alright, Haru-chan but don't forget we're going home together. If you think of bailing out on me, I will tell your brother you've been slacking off during our training sessions" He said and hurried to join his friends. I shuddered at the thought.

He wouldn't! My brother would kill me if he found out I've been more laid back during training.

My brother, Kazuko Itsuki, is a well-known basketball player all throughout middle school until after his college years. He was usually the ace of the team and people feared his skills. He was even known as the Red hot habanero ace because of his distinctive red head and scary in-court persona. He then coached several powerhouse schools in the past but we were able to convince him to be Shiratorizawa's coach for the Girl's and Boy's basketball team.

People would say that just because the coach is my brother he's more considerate of me but it's the total opposite. With me, he's more strict than the rest of the team because he 'sees the potential in me' but I think that's just him getting revenge for all the pranks and teasing I pulled when we were younger.

Whenever he watched us train he would notice my mistakes more than anyone else and reprimand me by making me do more drills than the rest of the team. Even a few of the girls felt sorry for me.

I sighed in defeat. I guess I have no choice then. I then happily ate my lunch with my friends. I usually eat with the team because we spend most of our time together and thus became more of a family here. And, I hate to say it but besides Aomine and the basketball team, I don't have that many friends.

As I continued eating my lunch, I then noticed a dark olive haired man entering the cafeteria. His eyes scanned the crowd and when he locked eyes with mine, I couldn't help but stare back. Will it always be like this whenever we meet? I thought to myself. He nodded at me and then proceeded to a table filled with I believe could be his volleyball team. "Yo Wakatoshi what took you so long?" A spiky redhead asked him while patting the seat beside him.

What an odd group I thought as I observed the people seated at his table. But who am I to judge when my group is no different. I chuckled at the thought and continued eating my packed lunch.

---

Author's Note

How's it going?

The picture above is Daiki Aomine. Harumi's childhood friend.

Yes, he's a character from Kurko no Basket and I love him so much.

What are your thought so far?