Chapter XIV

While everyone was distracted celebrating the engagement, Desiree took the opportunity to put her plan into action.

-Look how loving Ixion looks at him! Joanne commented as she watched them dance.

-Yes, yes it's very cute, but I have to go!

-Where are you going? She asked.

-Take the adventurous little boy out of play! She whispered in her daughter's ear. -If you ask, say that I started feeling a little bad and went to sleep!

-But mom ...

-No word, this conversation ends here! She threatened her daughter, who became scared.

-Yes mom! She answered.

Not long after, your father went to Joanne, seeing that her mother was no longer at her side.

-Miss Jo, where's your mother!

-... She wasn't feeling very well and went to bed earlier! She replied, reluctantly being an accomplice to her mother's evil plan.

-So it's okay, I hope she gets better! He replied.

The Countess walked, gathering all the guards who were on guard in the corridor of her family's rooms.

-What do you want from us that needed to bring us all together at once? One of them asked.

She looked both ways, to make sure there was no one there. When he was sure, he told his plan, in whispers in case anyone heard.

-I need you all to help me incriminate someone! She said, which soon left them confused and denying that proposal.

But they soon considered it, when she took out a small bag full of gold coins from the bust part of the dress.

-There is much more where this came from! She made the final move.

The guards accepted it, as ambitious as most monarchs.

One walked over to Barley's room, being very careful not to be seen.

In his pocket was the Countess's valuable necklace, which he placed under the bed.

Before he left, he picked up Barley's thorn bracelet, which he had picked up to attend the ball.

The Countess celebrated that phase A of her plan had been carried out perfectly, now she just needed to use all of her acting skills.

In the next morning, everyone was amazed when they heard desperate screams from her room.

-Contess Desiree, what happened? Your father asked, going to her rescue.

-The necklace, my diamond necklace that my beloved husband gave me before he died, disappeared! She replied, while pretending to search under the bed and in the drawers.

-Are you not sure you kept it in a jewelry box and forgot about it? He asked, trying to clear up any doubts that it might be theft.

-My memory is great my lord. I put it on top of this desk before sleeping, the diamonds are too heavy for me to sleep with it. I feel like a thief stole it!

-How can you be so sure of that? Ixion asked.

-I demand that you search my room, maybe they'll find a clue! She suggested.

-I'll provide! Ixion guaranteed it.

The maids were called in to search the room, to find something suspicious.

-I found it here, does it happen to belong to you, my lady? One asked, showing the bracelet.

Ixion's eyes widened.

-Barley's bracelet! He screamed into his own mind.

-I certainly would never wear something as vulgar as this, but yesterday I saw someone wearing an accessory like that! She answered.

-No wait, this is all a tremendous mistake! Ixion said, refusing to believe what she was suggesting. He knew Barley well enough to know that he would never steal, even if he was in total need.

-I'm sorry, my son, but your friend will have to be interrogated!

Ixion tried to remain calm, as he was sure that Barley could never do that.

Meanwhile, Barley, Ian and you were talking in his room.

-I'm sorry you lost your bracelet! You said, resting your hand on his shoulder.

-It's okay Y/N, the night was really fun. Also, I can buy another one! He replied, optimistic as always.

The conversation was interrupted when you heard a knock at the door.

-It must be Mom! Barley walked to his bedroom door and opened it.

-There's the little thief! Desiree said.

-What? What is happening? He asked, getting very confused.

-Sorry for entering your room like that, but we need to interrogate you about a theft! Your father asked.

-What? A theft? My brother would never steal anything from anyone! Ian shouted, extremely furious.

-So can you explain to me what his bracelet was doing in my room? Probably fell in a hurry to leave without being seen! She answered.

-I was talking just now about it disappearing from my room. I did nothing! He tried to defend himself.

-So you don't mind if we search your room, right? If you have nothing to hide, you will not be afraid of it!

-Of course I don't have it, you can search it, I'm innocent! He guaranteed.

They started to search the room, until under the bed, there it was.

-My necklace! The countess ran towards the necklace and took it. - Any more doubts that he is the thief!

-This is not possible, it's a setup, I didn't steal anything! He tried to defend himself again.

-I'm sorry young man, but all the evidence points to you. We have no choice but to detain you in detention until we resolve this situation!

-Detention? Like in the prison? He screamed.

-We have no choice, guards, take him to the dungeon! His father ordered and he was apprehended.

-What? You can't do that, no! Ixion despaired, following them.

Seeing his lover's eyes filled with tears, Barley asked to speak to him before they took them to the dungeon.

-Hey, everything will be fine! Barley comforted him and gave him a tender kiss on the forehead.

-Hey, I'm going to talk to our father, everything will be fine! Ixion spoke to you, before Ian and you followed, to keep Barley company while he stayed behind bars.

-Why did you allow him to be taken to prison? He shouted at his father, even more furious.

-You know I had no choice! He replied calmly.

-That's not fair, Barley would never do such a thing. But let him go, let him go home dad, please! Ixion pleaded.

-Hm, I don't know why you care so much about that boy!

-Because I love him Papa, I love him from the bottom of my heart! He finally said, with a cry at the top of his lungs and eyes filled with tears. -But I will do anything to get him released and come home!

And it was the most difficult decision Ixion had ever made in his entire life as king.

-I just feel sorry for you, for not having learned the greatest lesson Momma ever gave us when she was alive! He said.

-And what lesson would that be?

-... Love is love!