1 - Sick

"Let me out!" I screamed again, clutching my stomach and banging on the hard metal door. "I need Dr. Grif-"

Before I could finish my sentence, I doubled over in my small cell and released my breakfast all over the floor. I groaned as slow, heavy footsteps stomped down the hall towards my frantic calls for help. Despite calling for help for nearly ten minutes, and the panic in my voice, in the time it took the guard to reach my room, I had thrown up again.

The guard who opened my cell looked annoyed more than concerned, but once he saw the state both me and my floor were in, he quickly radioed for Dr. Griffin. He reached for his stun stick, but seeing the way my knees almost buckled when I tried to walk forward he wrapped an arm around me instead. We got halfway down the hallway before I passed out.

----

I woke up in the medical ward three days later hooked up to an IV drip. Panic washed through me as I saw the fluid draining into my arm and I ripped it out, wincing as the needle left my skin.

"Hey, hey, don't do that!" One of the assistant's sighed as he rushed over.

"I'll handle it, Jackson," Abby stopped him as she entered the room.

After he left, Abby shone a flashlight in my eyes, ignoring the way I resisted her help. She checked a few other things - my breathing, my heart rate, and my temperature - all without saying a word.

"You don't like doctors, do you?" She guessed as she scribbled some things down.

I shrugged as I rubbed my arm where the IV had been. I didn't disagree to what she assumed, but it wasn't the truth. The truth was I didn't want to waste resources. I knew the punishment that would come to everyone involved.

"Everything seems to be calming down. Does your stomach feel any better?" She asked as she set a glass of water next to the bed.

I nodded my head, realizing the nausea had almost completely disappeared, but I didn't try and sit up just in case. She didn't say anything else, but she didn't leave the room either. It was an awkward few moments, at least for me, there was no telling what she was feeling. Her face, however, might have given something away. Her eyebrows were furrowed in thought as she examined something on her tablet, but I couldn't see what it was except for a glimpse of some numbers here and there.

"Is it what he had?" I whispered.

Her eyes shot up immediately at my voice, but nothing else gave away her relief at hearing me talk.

"What did you say?"

"You know...Is it what made him sick.." I trailed off.

Realization crossed her face as she gave me a thin smile.

"No, not at all." She paused, "Dehydration."

"Oh." I mumbled, indifferent. But a wave of pain and relief was flooding inside me.

"Is that it, then?" She asked, "Is that why you won't take the drip?" She gestured to the IV.

I decided not to answer, taking a long drink of the water she gave me instead. My silence told her all she needed to know.

"In any case, they're disenfecting your room-"

"Prison."

"...And I'd like to keep you here a few days longer to make sure everything is okay."

I didn't ask why she needed to monitor me outside of my cell - which is protical for minor illnesses or issues - but anything to get me out of there was welcomed. I only had a few months until I was reevaluated on my 18th birthday - to see if I could go back to the Ark or be floated, killed like my father. The latter was more likely in my case.

I was caught stealing medical supplies, but that isn't the only reason that I was locked up.

I was locked away for being born.

My crimes were unforgivable.

So a few days outside of my cell, even if it was just in the small medical ward alongside Abby Griffin, was something that brought a smile to my face.

"You don't have to take the drip, but drink all the water and I'll bring you more every hour, okay?"

I watched curiously as she left the room, craning my neck to see down the hallways I hadn't walked through in years. Once I was alone I finished off the water and settled into the first soft pillow I had used since being locked away.

As my eyes drifted closed, I thought of his face.

My twin.

My brother.