19 - Hanged SIblings

The rag on Anne's forehead had dried out through the night when I sat down next to her bed in the dropship. As I took it off her to replace with a new one she groaned, squinting her eyes open just barely. She was reaching her hand out wildly for something and I tried to hand her the rag, thinking she wanted it back, but instead she grabbed my wrist roughly.

"Am I alive?"

I laughed as I took a hold of her hand so she would let go of my wrist.

"Hey there, sleepy head," I said as I smoothed her hair back. "Do you remember what happened?"

She opened her eyes fully as she shook her head, "I was running to the tree." She tried to sit up suddenly, "Oh, my god. The grounders.. They were all around us - I-is everyone-?"

I eased her back onto the bed, "Hey, relax. We can talk about the others soon. Tyler is home safe, though, he's the one who told us where you were going. Oliver was actually the one who took us. When Raven found you we thought...." I smiled sadly, "But you made it."

"You came back for me," Anne said, thinking out loud to herself.

"I shouldn't have let you go ahead out there by yourself," I grimaced.

"You didn't. I just couldn't keep up with Tyler," she argued. "You mean without you."

"I won't let you get hurt again, okay?" I smiled.

She was laying in this bed, comng back from the edge of death - and here she was comforting me.

"I have something I think you'll like to hear, though. I slept in here last night, and Oliver stayed most of the night - but at one point he had shift at the gate and someone else took his place: Harper." I gave the younger girl a knowing look while she blushed.

"As a friend?" She said, already knowing the answer.

I nodded my head with a smile, "As a friend. But a friend who cares very much about you. Both of them do."

"All of you," she corrected. "You stayed all night."

"What's the prognosis, Mira? Will she live?" Oliver laughed as he entered the ship and seeing his friend was awake.

"Come here, Olly," Anne smile, holding her arms out to him.

"I'll go get you some new bandages," I said, excusing myself to give them privacy.

Once I was upstairs in the ship, I listened to the hushed voices below, smiling to myself. They were embracing when I peaked down through the hatch. I decided I would wait up here until their moment was over so I didn't have to awkwardly walk through their moment. I took the opportunity to lean my back against the cold metal walls and slip my boots off for the first time since yesterday morning and close my eyes. I was awake most of the night watching over her, which made me think of the things she was saying. She didn't blame me for running ahead; she was just greatful that I was here now.

"Oh, hey Murphy," I heard Anne say from below.

"I heard you were awake, I didn't know that Oliver was here." My brother's voice floated through the air.

I almost went down the ladder to see what he wanted, but something about his voice caught me off guard. It was the same voice he would use when we were little when he got caught doing something wrong.

"Hey, hey, hey - what are you doing with that?" Panic in Oliver's voice got me to my feet.

"What's going on?" Jasper's voice entered the ship.

"You shouldn't be here." Murphy said just as a gun went off.

My ears rang as the sound echoed throughout the ship. My eyes were wide as I waited for anything; A noise, a voice, another shot, a...