18 - Holding Her Together

Bellamy had to practically drag me back to camp as I tried to stay behind and look for the others. He kept his hand on my back as he continued pushing me through the trees, his gun aimed forward while Miller and the others covered the sides and back. As soon as we were out of the forest and in front of camp, I planted my feet and stopped moving. The others stopped when Bellamy did, and he looked at my face for a few moments before addressing the others.

"No one talks about this. I can't have everyone panicking right now. Miller and Kale, you're in charge of getting everyone together to reinforce the walls...and work on the foxholes we were discussing."

"And Harper," I commented. Bellamy looked at me, confused. "She can help them keep people in check. She's capable."

He nodded to himself while she gave me a small smile, "And Harper. We'll take a smaller group out later to look for the others."

After everyone had gone in, Bellamy tried to lead me inside, too, but I continued to stand in place.

"You're not going to tell them?" I asked.

"Five of our people or all of our people, Mira. Which one sounds better?" He asked, but I knew it hurt him, too.

"There's no leadership without trust. I'm going back for them," I argued as I turned around.

He sighed heavily as he grabbed my arm. I tried to break out of his grasp but he wrapped me in a tight hug from behind. My head hung as I gave in, sadness out-weighing the anger. I knew he was making the right decision, but I couldn't leave my friends. He let me go as I turned back to camp.

"Mira, no one can know about this, please." He reminded me.

I continued to walk away from him as I whispered to myself.

"Fine. Keep your secret,

...but I'm telling Raven."

--

As I walked into the dropship, people on the bottom floor were looking at me funny. I ignored it as I climbed the ladder. The hatch was closed, which was unusual, so I muttered curses under my breath as I pushed it open. I didn't have the patience for this. As my eyes adjusted to the low light of the ship, I understood now why they had been looking at me.

"Shit," Murphy cursed as he pulled the blanket over him and Raven.

I closed my eyes as I started to go back down and leave them alone, but my emotions got the best of me and I took a deep breath as I said the words that would hurt both Raven and my brother. Hurting her was inevitable, and that I felt bad for, but hurting him was based on her reaction so she was an unfortunate casualty in my petty journey.

"Grounders took Finn."

--

Bellamy was frustrated when he stormed into the tent a few hours later. The sun had just gone down and there was no chance we were really going out to look for them like he had said. I kept my back to him, but I could almost see the look on his face in the way he slammed his bag down and zipped the tent hard.

"I asked you not to tell anyone! You know how long it took to calm her down just so she wouldn't run off and get herself killed, too. Not to mention your brother, God knows how he found out. You haven't said a word to him in days so, what, you just ran off and told him just because I said not to? That's like setting a bomb off in camp when we're already on the verge-"

"They were having sex." I said flatly. "I only told Raven, he just happened to be there."

I could hear him run his hands through his hair in frustration. I thought of the way he probably had his arms crossed if I were to turn around.