4 - Unsaid

John Murphy's eyes met mine just as they kicked the bucket out from under him.

"Stop!" I screamed, trying to run forward. "Stop! No!"

Strong arms wrapped around me as I watched his face turn red and his legs kick underneath him.

"Let go of me! Cut him loose!" I screamed. Somewhere behind me I could hear Clarke yelling for someone to stop, too.

"Sorry, sugar. I know you're new here but this is the way it happens down here." Whoever was holding me mumbled in my ear: Bellamy.

I hit and kicked at him as I tried to run to the  struggling boy. His movements getting weaker. His eyes were still on my face.

"We have to set an example. Murphy is that example." Bellamy whispered, but he didn't sound confident as I continued to scream, tears coming now.

"Let him down! That's my brother! You're killing my brother!" I cried.

As the words left my mouth, Bellamy's grip loosened. I could see him staring at my face out the corner of my tear-filled eyes. 'Murphy', as he called him, had almost stopped moving completely. There were still a few people chanting and cheering on the so-called justice, but many people were staring at Bellamy and I after I revealed who I was: Murphy's sister.

"Cut him loose," Bellamy said quietly. When no one moved he started yelling, "Cut him down!"

No one made a move at his order, so I ran forward, Bellamy letting me go this time as I pulled the knife from his waistband. I stood up on the bucket as I struggled the cut his rope. I tried to hold Murphy up as the rope finally went slack, but we both fell to the ground. I pulled his head into my lap as I ripped the rope off of his neck.

"Wake up, wake up." I cried as I checked for his pulse.

As I shook his head gently back and forth, a small groan came from his throat. Tears rolled down my cheeks again, this time from relief.

"This isn't justice!" Someone yelled.

Footsteps came towards us as the guy continued yelling.

"I'll kill him myself if our leader won't-"

I stood just as the guy reached us. As I turned to face him, I pressed my knife against his neck.

"One more step and you're dead," I hissed.

"Why do you care what happens to him?" Another guy yelled. I guessed these were the boys who had appointed themselves 'guards' of the ground.

"That's Mira Murphy! She's the sister who was locked up!"

"Sister?"

"Twin! No one knew about her until her father got floated!"

"There are no twins anymore!"

Voices began to talk over one another as I stared down the boy with my knife pressed against his throat. He didn't take another step, but he didn't back off either. A hand came down on his shoulder.

"Leave them alone," Bellamy ordered.

The boy didn't move.

"Leave them alone or I'll let her run that knife across your throat right now," Bellamy threatened, his eyes shooting to me.

The boy finally took a step back, but he didn't leave before turning to Bellamy.

"I guess you two have something in common, huh, big brother," the boy spat as he walked away.

I knew the nickname had meaning, but I didn't stop to think about it as I dropped back to the ground to my brother.

"Mira?" He choked out, his voice cracked.