10 - Sister Allies

I couldn't hear the wind anymore. 

It was so cold, I could feel little goosebumps all up and down my legs and across my stomach. Everything felt achey, and I couldn't shake the memory of fire spreading all throughout my insides. It was gone now, replaced with painful shivers. I grit my teeth together to stop the shaking.

"You shouldn't do that, you know. Mom always told you it was bad for your teeth."

I opened my eyes to the bright lights overhead of me, and I tried to sit up at the sound of Murphy's voice, but he stood quickly and gently pushed me back down.

"I don't think so," he shook his head. "I did not get blood all over me just for you to rip out your stitches again."

"What happened?" I mumbled out.

He smiled at my voice. His hands smoothed back my hair as he looked over my face.

"You got stabbed, Mi. Right in the chest. And if that isn't bad enough, the blade was poisoned," he made a noise between a laugh and a sigh. "I thought I lost you. When I saw them carrying you like that...your head hanging down... I-"

I glanced down at the long line of stitches running down the center of my chest, disappearing beneath the shirt that I made a note to thank Clarke for covering me with.

"Poison, huh? Kinda badass," I cut him off before things got too emotional. "You stayed with me?"

"You never should have gone out there. I couldn't live with myself...knowing the last thing I said to you..." He trailed off. "We didn't know if you'd make it."

There was yelling from upstairs and I tried to sit up again. Murphy helped me this time instead of pushing me back down. He shoved a canteen into my hands as the yelling stopped.

"What's that all about?" I asked.

I took a long drink from the water before realizing he wasn't answering. I looked up at him to find him staring at his hands.

"I know that look. What are you hiding?"

"I..did leave your side. Once." Murphy was avoiding eye contact.

There was more yelling upstairs.

"Who's up there, John?"

--

"You WHAT?" I yelled, trying to stand up.

My chest ached as Murphy tried to sit me back on the bed.

"He was the only one who knew which medicine would save you, Mira, I-"

"So you electrocuted someone who might not have even understood what you were saying to him?" I had my fists curled up at my sides.

"Mira, you were dying. We only did what we had to do," Murphy said calmly.

I stared at him. "Who's we?"

--

I pounded on the hatch above us while Murphy continued to try to talk me down, saying I would hurt myself more. I ignored both him and the growing pain in my chest.

"Open this door right now or so help me Bellamy!"

There was shuffling above me once he realized who was banging on the door. As soon as it opened, I pulled myself up through it. Groaning as I stood in the cramped space, holding the wound on my chest. Murphy stuck his head through the floor, but didn't come all the way up, choosing to stay out of the way.

"Mira, you shouldn't be out of bed-"

"Save it, Blake," I cut him off. "What the hell did you do?"