37 - Another Ending

Another sunset. Another dark sky blossoming into an endless stream of colors as far as I could see. Another day beginning and another night ending.

But this time I wasn't alone. I had a tall, handsome man next to me as we sat on a ledge overlooking Camp Jaha. Bellamy had his jacket draped over my shoulders as well as his arm while I leaned my head into his chest. It was painful, watching our people be helped inside the gates one by one. I had already made sure Anne was safely tucked away inside before I ran off to find Bellamy.

That's when Clarke left. I stood by the gate while Bellamy yelled at her, again, demanding to know why she didn't stick to the plan, and why she killed hundreds of innocent people instead of just waiting. She didn't give an answer, and I still didn't know if she had a reason.

"A drink?" Bellamy's voice was low in my ear as he looked down at me resting against his chest. "I think you've earned it."

I sighed as I stretched my legs out and rested my head in his lap so I could look at him better. I scrunched my nose up and he nodded, understanding my answer and capping the bottle and setting it to the side while he smoothed my hair back.

"When does it end?" I whispered.

He smiled sadly at me, "I don't know, sugar."

"I don't want to be a leader anymore." I sighed.

"Everyone looks to you, Mira."

"To us," I corrected. "Why can't we... We don't have to be in charge anymore. We can be normal for once. We can experience the Earth without all the fighting."

"Until we go to war with the grounders again." He mumbled. "People aren't taking the betrayal well."

"Lots of betrayal going around...." I trailed off. "She kept saying she did it for you-" I had already filled him in on the missile, "-But with what she did in the Mountain, too..."

"I didn't need her to keep me alive in there." Bellamy said through clenched teeth.

I touched his cheek gently, pulling his face to look at me. "What happened in there? Before we got contact with you."

He sighed, his breath uneven and shakey, "They tried to bleed me. Strung me up nearly naked and upside down before throwing me in a cage."

I closed my eyes tight, trying not to imagine him, helpless, about to be killed off.

"I should have gone with you-"

"No, no. Absolutely not." He cut me off. "Mira the thought of you being tied down, drilled into.... I would have died to keep you from that."

I stared up at him, surprised by the intimacy we were sharing. I opened my mouth but closed it in hesitation. He didn't say anything, though, knowing I had something to say.

"John left. He's gone." I whispered, surprising even myself.

"What? When?" Bellamy sat up a little straighter.

"It's been a week or so, I don't really know when he left but he's gone. Him and Jaha... I don't know." I swallowed hard. "He didn't even say bye."

Bellamy looked down at me in his lap and put this hands on either side of my face, holding it harder than I thought he would, but not enough to hurt me.

"He'll be back, Mira. I know he will." He sounded so sure of himself.

I laughed as he wiped the tear that had fallen down my face, "I guess you know what it's like better than most people, huh?"

"Tell you what, okay? I see how much you've done for Octavia... watching you two work together like that was insane. So," he smiled down at me, "If Murphy doesn't come back I will personally go out there and drag him back home. Brother to brother."