35 - Morals vs. Loyalty

Another day, another sunset. Clarke had just finished explaining the plan to take down the Mountain and get both our people back. The grounders all over the base camp chanted for blood: jus dren jus daun. The sun hadn't actually set yet, but I knew it was only a couple hours until it did. A couple hours until we were walking our people home.....or dying. It was unclear yet how this would play out. Truth be told, I wasn't sure what Lexa and Clarke had planned, but I knew my part and that's what I had focused on now. I just hoped it wouldn't end in death, for us or them. Taking down the leaders of the Mountain, like Cage (and Emerson after his betrayal stunt), was a given and an accepted fatality.

But I couldn't stop thinking of the way Bellamy's voice shook when he told me about the children inside. They didn't deserve to die because of this.

"Ready?" Octavia asked as she suited up her horse.

I looked up, snapping out of my moral monologue. She tossed a saddle to me and I huffed under the weight of it as I stood up. Indra was leading two more horses to us as I looked to Octavia quizzically.

"Is everyone heading out?" I asked as I saddled the horse.

"Heda is sending out a scout group to meet the inside army as they're let out," Indra reminded me, not leaving out the obvious attitude in her voice at my forgetfulness.

"Right, moba," I apologized as I swung myself up onto the horse, brushing down it's mane to calm it.

Indra swung herself up on her horse much more gracefully than Octavia or I, and nodded her head sending the other members of the scout group ahead without a word. Octavia and I looked at eachother, both of us waiting for the others to head forward before us.

"Let's bring him home," she said with a smile.

"Let's bring them all home," I said, raising my sword and racing off after her.

--

"I don't know if I can do this," I was whispering as Octavia and I led the group through the tunnels.

"If anyone can find the way through this, it's us." She encouraged quietly.

Both of us had a death grip on our weapons, looking over our shoulder and around every corner in fear that a blood thirsty monster were going to jump out at us. My mind kept wandering back to the tunnels, swuished on the dumpster while the guard's were literally eaten alive. As I thought back to that frightening day, a noise around the corner stopped me in my tracks. I shot a hand out to stop Octavia and she raised a fist signalling for the group to stop, too.

Indra instructed her people to circle around and attack before coming up behind Octavia and I, "You two are with me."

Jackson was with us, too, and I felt him hover behind me, the stun gun in his hand. We crept forward, turning the corner with our weapons raised. The other grounders in Indra's group weren't in place on the opposite side of us, taking up the back behind the Reapers. I cursed under my breath as I realized the four of us had to handle it on our own.

Octavia and I ran forward first, her sliding and taking out two of them by the knees while I jumped on the back of the larger one and wrapped my arm around his neck, weakening him long enough for her to kick him to the ground again. I stepped back from him as another one grabbed me from behind. Fear hit me as I thought of the way the Reapers bit into Sergeant Scott's neck. My hands shot to my neck to cover it from him as the other grounders finally joined our group, one of them running forward with his knife to stop the Reaper who had ahold of me.

"No! Nou frag em op! Don't kill them!" I yelled out, struggling against the Reaper's grasp.

"I got it!" Jackson yelled out as he activated the sound generator, letting out a piercing ringing that dropped the Reapers to the ground in pain.