22 - New Attitudes

Tyler pulled me into a big hug as I dropped the blade on the ground. He pushed me head gently into his shoulder and turned so I couldn't look at the bodies anymore. I pulled back to look at his face, checking over every inch of it as if he was going to disappear any minute.

"How..How did you get out? I saw Bellamy aand Finn, but not you." I shook my head.

"I ducked out after they started attacking... I tried to get others to come with me but they stayed and fought," he admitted sheepishly. "I knew we would never win."

I wanted to call him out on abandoning his people, his friends. But I saw the cut healing on his side and the bruises that had only just begun to fade and I knew he was right. We didn't have a chance. He was just a scared kid, like everyone else.

"Where have you been hiding? There has to be grounders all over the place," I asked.

"Threre's some caves not far from here. This is really the first time I've left to get water. I guess it's fate, huh?" He smiled, "The first day I leave and I find you."

"It's a good thing you did," I said looking sadly at the grounders.

"It's not like you needed any help, though. You just took two out on your own!" Tyler sounded impressed.

"Right after I just cleaned the blood off from the one at camp, too," I sighed, looking at the fresh blood covering my arms and ruined clothes.

He looked at the water behind me before grabbing my hand, "Well, let's get you cleaned up then."

"Tyler...no, come on - I don't-," I gasped as he pulled me into the water after him.

I crossed my arms as I stood as close to the edge as I could. I knew the further out, the deeper it went. He leaned his head back in the water, soaking his hair before standing up and shaking it out, covering me in water.

"Okay, okay, I feel much cleaner. Let's go before anymore show up," I said.

"Can't get clean if you're still in those clothes," he winked as he stripped his shirt off.

I tried to hide me smile as I looked over the define muscles in his back when he turned away from me. My smile disappeared as he dove under the water.

"Tyler! Tyler, we can't swim!" I yelled.

His head popped up a few yards away, that big goofy smile still on his face. He was bobbing up and down gently.

"How are you..?"

"A few of us practiced at the stream by the dropship," he shrugged, "It isn't as hard as it seemed. Just kick your legs and hold your breath."

"I don't think it's that simple," I argued as I waded deeper into the water. I waited until it was up to my shoulders before trying to pick my feet off the bottom and kicking in place. At first it worked and I felt myself floating in the water. I looked up to see Tyler smiling at me.

"I-I'm doing it!" I laughed. I let out a small squeal as I lost my groove and my head ducked under the water.

I coughed out a laugh as Tyler pulled me up and held me in his arms so my feet were off the ground. He slowly walked back out to where he was in the water and I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly as I felt his feet come off the ground.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm not going to drop you," he said, his voice low in my ear.

"I'm really glad you're here, Tyler," I admitted. "I thought I was going to go crazy alone."

"You're not alone anymore," he whispered.

Our eyes met and I felt one of his hands slide up my back genlty. He spun around genlty in the water, and I wrapped my legs around his waist to hold on better. His other hand trailed down and squeezed my leg. Before I could stop to think about it, I leaned in and pressed my lips against his. As I started to pull away, I felt him smile into the kiss and hold the back of my neck gently, keeping me there.