3 - Not so Warm Welcome

Her suit had a tear in it. We locked eyes and I saw the terror in hers as I clamped my hand over the rip. She said something I couldn't hear. It sounded like a name.

The lights had gone out, so why was everything flashing? It was so hot. So very hot. Were those flames outside the window?

My body was thrown roughly upwards as we hit the atmosphere. Her hand was gripped over top mine that was pressing against the tear on her suit. She squeezed it.

The last thing I thought of before my head hit the side of the ship and my vision went black was him.

--

My eyes stung as a flashlight burned through my cracked helmet. A hand was poking around inside the pod. I groaned and the hand froze. I felt the hand pull at my arm and I realized I was holding the radio. I tried to look past the flashlight to see who it was. Raven moaned next to me. She was alive.

"Stop, who are you?" I gasped out as pain trailed down my side. We crash landed.

"I need that radio." A gruff male voice answered.

"Yeah, we ALL do," I snapped as I tried to take my helmet off.

As I went to unlatch it, the man reached out and grabbed the radio from my arms. I yelled out for him to stop as he took off through the grass. I threw the helmet off as I ran after him, tripping over my feet. Just before I reached him, he threw the radio as hard as he could into a river.

I didn't even have time to be in awe of seeing an actual river as I turned on him angrily. He was already running off into the trees before I got a word out.

"You're killing us!"

I stared at the water for a minute, contemplating going in or making sure Raven was okay. I chose the latter as I turned around to run back to the pod, but Abby's words and the thought of even more of our people being sacrificed, AND the fact that Raven risked everything to get us down here...

"Screw it."

I stripped off the suit, running into the water in only my tank top and shorts given to me from the medical area. The sudden cold shot up my legs and I shivered at the new feeling of the flowing water running past me. It wasn't deep enough to worry about going under, but I had to drop to my knees to use my hands along the bottom. After a few long, torturous moments, I was able to pull out the soaking radio.

"No, no, no, no." I muttered as I tried to shake the water out while running back to the pod.

My boots squished beneath my feet as I ran across the grass. Grass. Real grass.

I set the radio on the ground next to me as I unstrapped Raven, pulling her helmet off. She had a cut on her forehead but other than that and a few bruises she seemed okay. I shook her shoulders gently, calling her name.

"Mira?" She groaned as her eyes fluttered. "Did we..?"

"We made it. We're on the ground, Raven." I sighed, "But there's a problem."

--

"God, it's completely busted. Damn it!" Raven cursed as she inspected the radio.

"Over here!"

We both looked up to see two figures running towards us. I strained my eyes to try and see who they were, but Raven seemed to recognize them before I did, because she gasped and ran forward to the boy, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Raven!"

"I knew I'd find you," she smiled as she kissed him eagerly.

I watched as the blonde girl with him took a few steps back, a strange expression on her face before jogging over to me, checking me for any injuries.

"You must be Abby's daughter?" I guessed as she turned my arm around.

She looked up at me puzzled, "You know my mom?"

"She's the reason we're here," Raven smiled, laying a hand on the girl's - Clarke's - shoulder.

"What? Why?" Clarke asked.

Raven's smile disappeared as she went into business mode, holding up the soaked radio.

"Because the Ark thinks you're all dead and if we don't tell them you're not then they're going to kill 300 people to save oxygen."

"Oh, my god," the boy whispered.

"What happened to the radio?" Clarke demanded as she took it from the girl.

"Some guy was here before you two. He took it from me and threw it in the river before running off. I...went in and got it," I explained.

"Badass," the guy nodded approvingly. "Who was the guy?"

"I already know who." Clarke grimaced, "We have to get back to camp."

"They should all be back by now anyways. It's almost punishment time." The guy agreed.

"Punishment?" Raven raised her eyebrows.

"Come on." Clarke said, running ahead.

--

'Camp' was the drop ship surrounded by some crooked fences and almost 100 teenage delinquents who stared at the new arrivals. Clarke and Finn - I had learned his name on the way - ran ahead first, directly to the guy I had seen earlier. Clarke shoved him hard, something that came from the anger I had seen grow everytime Raven touched Finn. I wondered what had happened before we arrived.

"What the hell?" The guy cursed at her.

"You're going to let 300 of our people die for your own selfish bullshit, Bellamy!" Clarke yelled, gaining the attention of everyone who was already staring at us.

"Excuse me?"

"That radio was our only chance to stop the Ark from killing our people to save oxygen," Raven spat at him.

There was a murmur of confusion from the crowd.

"The Ark is going to shut off oxygen to an entire sector because you all took your wristbands off! I told you the Ark was dying! They're saving oxygen by killing our people!" Clark yelled to the crowd.

"To hell with the Ark!" Bellamy roared. "I don't know about you all, but my people are right here!"

The crowd hollered and cheered at his words.

"We don't need them!"

"Those are our parents, our doctors, our farmers," Clarke argued, "Our guards, our order-"

"We have our own order down here! Our own justice!" Bellamy yelled, staring her down. "And it starts with the hanging."

"The hanging?" I whispered.

"The punishment I was talking about." Finn explained as some boys kicked a body along the dirt. I couldn't see who it was as they threw the rope over a branch. "Clarke thought he killed Wells, but it was some little girl instead."

"So then why the hell are they hanging him?" Raven asked.

"He went after her. Everyone wanted him dead but when they found out it was just a kid they changed their mind. He wanted justice."

The guy was hoisted up on a bucket. I still couldn't see his face. I could hear Clarke and Bellamy arguing still.

"He chased her to the cliffs. She jumped."

"So they're killing him?" I asked. "It sounds like they're just using him as a scapegoat."

Finn shrugged as the group gathered around the boy. I felt sick. What they were doing wasn't right. There was already justice for what happened to Wells. Why were they killing him for trying to do what they wouldn't? I watched sadly as they pulled the rope tight. Just as they kicked the bucket I got a look at who the boy was.

John Murphy.