Too Good At Goodbyes || Wilhemina Venable

You sat in your car. Rain softly hitting your windshield as you looked up at the house you two shared. The one that held more hurt than happiness these days. Your tears had dried on my face as a song starting playing softly in the background.

You must think that I'm stupid

You must think that I'm a fool

You must think I'm new to this

But I have seen this all before

"Stupid. Stupid. Stupid." You said to yourself as more tears started welling up in your eyes for the third time in the last 30 minutes but this time instead of letting them fall you wiped them away. You took a deep breath to prepare yourself to get out of the car but you opted on sitting there for a while as the song continued to play.

I'm never gonna let you close to me

Even though you mean the most to me

Cause every time I open up it hurts

So I'm never gonna get too close to you

Even when I mean the most to you

In case you go and leave me in the dirt

Your heart broke at the lyrics; it reflecting your relationship with Wilhemina to the t. You got to close and now you were going through the repercussions of falling in love with her. She was your entire world, had easily become it in these short eight months but she never voiced or acted like you had become the same to her. There were less dates, later work nights, and more plenty of meals gone cold that you couldn't count on either hands.

But every time you hurt me the less that I cry

And every time you leave me the quicker these tears dry

And every time you walk out the less I love you

Baby we don't stand a chance. It's sad but it's true

I'm way too good at goodbyes

You finally turned the car off and got out of the car, not bothering to grab your umbrella or put your hood on. You took your time walking to the door and took even longer unlocking it and stepping inside. You set your bags down with a sigh and took your coat off to hang it up but someone clearing their throat caught your attention. You looked up and saw Wilhemina standing there with a rather solemn expression on her face.

"Oh.. I didn't expect you to be home so soon." You said softly as you hung up your coat and took off your shoes.

"We need to talk." She said so coldly it made you flinch a little.

"Can we talk after I get cleaned up? I'm drenched." You said with a small chuckle trying to lighten the extremely tense mood surround you both.

"It won't take long. I just have to tell you that I'm leaving." She said plainly but still not meeting your eye.

"Are you going on a business trip or something?" You asked curiously.

"No exactly Y/n.." She said softly as she glanced up at you.

"Then what are you leaving for?" You asked as your chest tightened.

"Because this isn't working out anymore. I... I found someone else." She said finally looking you in the eye.

Your heart almost leaped up into your throat but you swallowed it back down as you stared into her eyes looking to see if this was some kind of joke or something. You saw no other expression than regret. Did she regret being with you? Wasting her time being with you? Did she regret not doing this sooner?

"I- what?" You asked softly as your heart broke more than it had in the car. You felt a dull ache in your chest and your breaths had become significantly shorter.

"I'm leaving you Y/n. It's something I should have done months ago. She'll be here soon to pick me up." She deadpanned as she maintained eye contact with you to ensure that this was what she wanted.

You continued to stare at her before taking a deep breath and closing your eyes. You swallowed down all your emotions before opening your eyes again and giving her a sad smile.

"Then I wish you the best Wilhemina." You blinked away the tears that had started to form as you looked away from her and began to retreat upstairs.

She stood there in shock before turning around and calling out to you. You stopped right before the bedroom the two of you use to share; seeing her emptied nightstand cemented everything.

"You don't have anything else to say? Just I wish you the best?" She asked shockingly. You only turned around giving her another sad smile before answering.

"Every time you hurt me the less that I cried. Every time you left me the quicker my tears dried and every time you walked out the less I loved you. We didn't stand a chance, it's said but its true. I'm way too good at goodbyes." You softly sang the chorus to the song that had been playing in the car. Tear welled up in your eyes again as you turned around and went into the bedroom closing the door behind you so you could finally cry in peace.

~~~~~~~~

word count: 854