Daydreams and Doodles

OTP Prompt #30: Baz gets caught doodling.

~ Surprise! A double update! Hope this isn't bugging you guys too much. This one is for @NerdiestNerdEver. Enjoy! ~

*Baz's POV*

I can't say I've never zoned out in class, doodling the name of my arch enemy. (Can't we all say the same?) I am a vampire and a mage. I have no soft spots. Except for the days when I can feel the constant heat of Simon's eyes on the back of my neck and it's as though he's paying me extra attention. Then my (one) soft spot is, of course, Simon Snow. Although I'm not completely daft- I never write out his full name. Just S in big loopy letters.

And I've fallen prey to doing just that today in Greek. Snow sits next to me, making my little doodles and daydreams all the more dangerous. (Something about being so close to getting caught... well, it's right exciting, innit?) Although Snow is sitting right by me, he hardly ever looks my way, thank Merlin. So while we're going over conjugation that I've known since I was an ankle-biter, I find my mind wandering. Wandering over to Snow and his moles and his constant heat, and how I wish it was mine. I imagine all sorts of things- all of which I won't delve too deep into elaborating on. I'm scrawling S+B on my paper in the corner when the devil himself nudges me with his elbow. When I look up, he's (attempted) at cocking an eyebrow how I do, but instead, both of his raise in a face that makes me want to write sonnets. (I wouldn't put it past me.)

"Baz, I wasn't listening. D'you know what-"

"No." I probably do know whatever he was about to ask, but I'm not interested in the real Snow interrupting my daydreams of the fantasy one. He growls and then looks down at my paper instead, thinking he'll get more answers there. (If anything he'd get more questions.) I move to cover up where I've been scribbling in the corner of my paper, but it's too late. I've been caught like a regular school girl in love. Fuck it all. He looks back up at me, flushing. (Snow is inherently daft, but even he couldn't mistake the S for anyone else. Didn't think this was how I was going to die, but oh well.)

"Baz! Have you got a crush?!" He says it too loud and half the class (not the teacher, thank Crowley) looks our way. I glare at them, which gets them back to their tasks right quick. If I had fed recently, I'm sure I would be blushing now, but as luck would have it, I haven't fed any time recently.

"No, I just-"

"Really, because," He maneuvers around my arms and snatches the notebook right out of my hands. (I would've been able to stop him, but the studious part of my brain tells me not to make a rukus.) "It sure seems like you do." He points to the doodles of S+B and flips through past pages only to find more. It just spurs him along, and soon he's trying to stifle his laughs to no avail.

I grab the notebook back and say, "Enough of that now, Snow." This is almost friendly. Not like the arguing we usually do. This is more like teasing between mates, and I can't say I mind. (Of course, that'll all be over once he inevitably figures out S stands for Simon.) He eyes my and my proctective hold on the notebook he just chuckles and goes back to writing.

Just when I think he's done pestering me, the insufferab;e twat turns back to me in a rush. "So who is it?" He's asking me about this like it's some crush and we're mates. We've never discussed anything like this, and I'm torn between telling him to fuck off or indukging myself a bit longer.

I run a hand over my face and exhale in annoyance. "No one-"

"Well obviously not no one if you've got doodles of her intial all through your notebook!" Oh. Oh. This is why he doesn't know it's him. He doesn't know I'm gay.

"Actually, um-"

"Is it... Samantha? No, I s'pose not- she's a pixie. Oh! Maybe Sarah? She's quite nice, though she is a fourth year..." (He keeps listing off girls' names, and he knows all of them. I swear, he's like a dog, he's so bloody friendly.) Oh, Snow. The oblivious dolt.

*Simon's POV*

While I list off more names, Baz looks at me like I've grown another head. But this is nice- teasing like we're mates. (It won't last of course. S'nice to pretend, though.) When I saw Baz doodling in his notebook about someone he fancied, something in my stomach twisted. I think it was just the fact that my enemy was capable of liking someone. That Baz was capable. I thought he didn't like anyone. I've never even seen him be nice to anyone, before. Maybe being an arse is his way of flirting? (No, certainly not. If that was the case, then that would mean that he's constantly flirting with me, and that's, well. That's right crackers, innit?)

He cuts me off with another exasperated sigh when he says, "Snow! I am not-" He grunts a little and looks around, uncomfrotable all sudden. He takes a deep breath. "I'm gay, you dolt." Oh. So who he fancies... it's a bloke. Right. Well that was... unexpected. It's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. (Because that means he doesn't fancy Agatha, after all.) This information shouldn't be sending me into hyper-drive, but I get the familiar feeling of magic bubbling over, and something white-hot coils in my belly. How did I now know that my roommate was gay? I s'pose, being his enemy and everything, we've never really been chatty. I've been quiet a long time, and I'm just now realizing that he probably thinks I'm homophobic.

I bluster and then compose myself (as much as I can, anyway) and continue naming names. "Right then. So... maybe Seth? He's a solid bloke, though he's in fourth year, too. So maybe Stuart? But I can't really see you with a Stuart," I keep listing off names and then immediately writing them off, because who the bloody hell is good enough for Baz? I feel myself working into a nervous bluster again, and I hope to Crowley no one else in the class is watching this interaction. Baz's gaze along with his shaking head is scrutiny enough. I continue, even though everything in my body is telling me to stop. "Maybe more of a Roy, or p'raps a Simon-"

I didn't just say that.

*Baz's POV*

He just said that.

*Simon's POV*

We both go quiet and Baz is staring at me with wide eyes, and I'm overflowing with magic, and I hadn't realized it before, but I'm sporting a half stiffie. (I never think before I talk. If I would just think-) Before I know what's happening, I'm stumbling over an apology/excuse.

"Baz, I didn't mean- well s'just that I, erm- I didn't mean to, and I'm so sorry, and I think that I'll just go die now, an-" He cuts me off and puts his hand over mine. (I think I'm going to bloody implode. Any second now.) His cool hand is cooling my oh-so-hot-one down and he bores his eyes into mine, telling me to shut up.

"Simon, bloody calm down. You're going to explode the-"

"Wait- go back."

"Pardon?" He cocks that infuriating eyebrow of his.

"What did you just call me?" He rolls his eyes.

"I hardly think that's of importance right now, Snow." My name from his mouth is on repeat in my head. "Just calm down. Breathe. It's okay." I nod and take a few deep breaths, trying to calm down and take other people's eyes off of me.

When I'm calm, I try again. "Baz. What does... what does that initial you've been doodling stand for?" It's his turn to take deep breaths. I realize he's not let go of my hand, and he's tracing a pattern there. S+B, over and over.

"Simon Snow, obviously." Crowley, I'm daft. He looks at me, and I've never seen Baz this unsure in my years of knowing him. "Is that... okay?"

I don't know how to properly convey with my words how okay that is. So I go for the next best thing and use my mouth to tell him. I lean in to snog him properly, and he smiles against my lips, earning a smile of my own in return.

Now we've got the class' attention.