chapter 4

{third person pov}

The school day ended quicker than it began. After lunch the class had math and then that was it. The first day of their time in UA had been complete. Deku couldn't say he wasn't exhausted though. Not that he wasn't willing to go to the little 'pizza party' as they have called it, on the other hand, he was really looking forward to knowing his classmates better. However, he was afraid that Kaachan might not be their because he was there. Deku got the feeling that bakugo has been avoiding everyone because they all seemed to be interested in him, and deku didn't want to be the reason bakugo didn't have any friends. Because despite his hostile nature, he was a friend magnet, able to gain a following without having to lift a finger. Nonetheless, this friends hang out was going to be interesting, although the anxiety of saying something 'cringy' or become unsociable was present, he didn't mind the idea of take a backseat and listening to everyone else's stories and jokes. By the time, everyone had arrived back to the dorms, the sun was beginning the set. Somehow, the new grouped called 'the Baku squad', which was a new development for Izuku, had manage to convince bakugo to join in with the pizza. Mina teased deku saying the way they convinced him was by telling him deku would be there, but he knew she was only joking. Todoroki was also convinced to be there, even though he didn't seem to be very willing to make conversation. As Momo and iida ordered the pizza, they had gathered in a circle on the floor, already beginning to share stupid stories.

Deku was surprisingly sandwiched between Todoroki and bakugo, a situation he didn't even remember putting himself in. luckily bother males where preoccupied by their own thoughts. Deku peacefully hugged his knees as he listened to the story of how kaminari could stuck in a vent. He felt his eye lids slowly getting heavier. This was peaceful, he felt warm and wanted. Though his mother was the most caring and hardworking person, his home never felt warm, or welcoming. There was only one instance where he felt this kind of warmth before, but those days were long gone. He only knew these people for a day, and they felt warm, and welcoming. At his old school, he had to keep his guard up, making sure no one would attack him. But now, finally he could let his guard down. He was finally feeling peaceful again.

"midoriya?" he felt someone gently shake him, he suddenly shot up, not realising he had drifted of so quickly. The voice was clearly kirishima and in his blurring daze he searched for him to find he was at the other side of the circle. "pizza's here man, come get your slice." He chucked to himself. deku felt his face go read, he didn't mean to fall asleep, he hoped it didn't seem rude or anything. Now midoriya was a little bit more awake, he realized something. Wait, if kirishima is on the other side of the circle, who was the one who shook me? he looked to the left of him, the source of the contact was none other than Kaachan. It was a simple gesture, any normal person with a normal human relationship wouldn't read into it, but Deku's relationship with bakugo wasn't normal. He would have expected and shout in the ear or a harsh poke, but the shaking felt so careful. Deku blushed and proceeded to reach other for a slice of pizza. He of course had pizza before, he wasn't a cretin, but only the cheep frozen ones, this slice on the other hand, felt like he was eating gold. The rest of the class took notice of this. They were and amused and simultaneously curious at the small boys overjoyed expression at a simple slice of pizza. He ate it fairly quickly, but he was savouring every single bite, like this slice could be his last ever meal. And for a kid who hadn't eaten all day, he didn't ram it down his throat like any of them would. Something about this disturbed the class, there was something more to this behaviour. Midoriya was unaware of this classmate's gaze, too focused on his food, Tokoyami was the first to break the classes trance.

"so midoriya, we were exchanging phone numbers and twitter accounts during lunch. This would be a better time than any to get your contacts so we can add you on the class group chat." He said bluntly, midoriya's focus finally broke away, from his slice with an almost melancholy face. "o-oh, sorry ... I-I don't have a phone." He said quietly. Lowering down the half-eaten pizza slice. The class finally realised that now is the best time to sensitively question deku, without adding to much pressure. "oh, was your mom strict with technology." Asui further pried. "oh no my mum is an angel !! it's just ...." He looked a the floor with dejected eyes. "you don't have to tell us if you don't want to" momo interjected. This was exactly what she wanted to avoid, if there is something going on, then maybe its not their place to know just yet. "no no, it's just.... After my dad.... Left.... Me and my mum were left to pic up the pieces. He kind of left us with his debt and bills so we are... essentially broke. We had to move out of our own home. We had been living at a lot of my mum's co-workers' houses, my mum only managed to get the apartment she has now only a year ago. My mum is a really hard-working person, but she is barely making ends meet, having debt on your record doesn't give you a secure job. So I would rather be sure to actually have a meal on the table rather than a cell phone, its my choice, not hers. please don't think that my mum is neglectful or anything." And there it was. The reveal. There was a heavily atmosphere that clouded the room. No-one wanted to say any meaningless bullshit like 'I'm so sorry'. Kaachan finally snapped out of his thoughts during Deku's confession. He knew he was poor, but 'not-a-guaranteed-meal-on-the-table' kind of poor. Midoriya's poverty-stricken background explained to much. The no professional training, the gratefulness he displays for a slice of pizza and no phone.