Chapter 16

As the audience began to take their seats, the slow feeling of dread filled the top classes mind. Surprisingly, the concert hall was packed to the brim, the school must have allowed a few classes from the higher years to join in to. The room was buzzing and the audience was chattering amongs themselves, some were already cheering. However, it wasn't the amount of people that created this sense of unease, but the true fear of them being ridiculed due to their disputable reputation. They were back stage in their green room, some were doing stretches or warms up, some were glued to the monitors and gasping at the screen filled with people. Two students on the other hand, stayed within themselves, sitting in the corner of the room as to not disturb anyone. They were lucky they were one of the last acts to go up, but to bakugo, he didn't know if it was a blessing or a curse. If they were earlier, maybe this anxiety would have gone away, but it was left to build and build.

Their hearts sank when they glanced over to the monitor, finding that the tournament was now in session. A tired shaggy man stood on stage with a microphone, standing there like it was a normality for him.

"Before we start, You must have realized the sheet of paper that had been handed out to all of you. After each performance, you must tick the individual that you found to be the most engaging. I must insist that you do not choose by personal preference or if it is your friend or not. Now, without further ado, let the tournament begin." He said, rubbing his neck in a solemn, tired way. His speech was followed by cheering as the first contestants scattered onto the stage.

Deku watched as Aoyama and a dark skinned guy with dyed white hair, who was formally announced as shihai kuroiro, took their places on opposite sides of the stage, microphone ready at hand. They both began to harmonize in a minor key opera, something Deku had never really cared to know about. What caught his attention was the unimpressed audience, sitting there with their arms crossed as if they just found their kid scribbling on the walls. Deku found it weird that they weren't bored, or chatting amongst themselves, but instead they seemed focused and retentive. This wasn't fun and games to them, this was serious.

The knot in his stomach only grew bigger and bigger as the first act finished up in a blink of an eye.

Deku found that even the second one went by way to quickly,
So did the third one,
And the fourth one.
.
Fifth
.
Sixth
.
Seventh
.
Eighth
.
Deku could feel his aching bones rattling. His mind hyper focused on the slow ticking sound of the clock. Everything was moving slow like that running dream state where you can't go fast but you still feel like you have to run for your life. Deku felt like he could throw up, but nothing would come out. He was on a constant stage of limbo. A repetitive ticking noise rang in his ears, it was like the world was vibrating.

Eleventh
.
Twelfth
.
Thirteenth
.
Fourteenth
.
Fifteenth

His weird hypnosis was gracefully interrupted as he felt the body next to him begin to shake in fear and suddenly grab his shoulder. Deku looked up at bakugo to find that he was suprisingly on the verge of tears. His face was ridden with stress and pain, his blond spikey hair suprisingly sunken and sad. Deku started at his partner's face with sorrow, he looked so docile and scared, something deku never wanted to see again. He grabbed the blonde hand and practically dragged him out of the loud room, leading him towards the common bathroom. Upon arrival, bakugo had gone into full hyperventilating mode, grabbing onto his shaggy school uniform in a state of panic. Bakugo had been prone to panic attacks before, when they were children. He was always strong, brave, determined and fearless for the most part, but once there was something he didn't understand, something that wasn't in his control, that feeling of hopelessness swamped his body into a sea of anxiety. When he was at middle school, he never wanted to show weakness, in the eyes of others and himself, he was flawless. So for the most part, he suppressed these violent attacks and in worst case scenarios he would get away from people so they wouldn't find out. This sudden relapse of emotion surprised bakugo so much that he didn't even notice that he was in a bathroom stall sitting on deku's lap whilst crying into his shoulder.