chapter 8

{third person pov}

Bakugo sat there in awe as he watched the short green hair boy left the prison. He didn't know what hurt more. His cheek stung and he could feel it heat up in his hands. However, his heart felt empty, like a spear had been thrown and hit bullseye on the centre of his chest. Deku was never angry, he was sad, petty, and gets pissy. But never angry. Never swearing angry. He had never heard deku say anything more intense that heck. Bakugo hated to be the first person to make him swear. Everything just started to feel right again. He had just gotten is friend back, and how he was back to square one.

"bakugo you can come out now," he heard all might's voice over a voice machine, the door was still open from Deku's exit, but he hadn't had the strength to get up. However, all might's voice broke him from his trance, allowing his body to move towards the light of the exit.

It was a bit awkward when he came out. All might, Tokoyami and iida seem to be frozen in fear int their seats. They had been watching the whole thing as a monitor displayed the inside of the cell. Bakugo looked up at them with wide eyes, noticing that deku was not with them. He assumed he had ran out deku seems to run away to avoid confrontations like this and bakugo didn't blame him.

"well, that was... intense." Alight tried to break the awkward tension between his new class. He felt terrible and at blame for putting them in such a demanding environment on their first lesson with him. Especially it might break Deku's rekindling with bakugo. "before we go out for lunch. I want to share some feedback. Even though bakugo was the one who stayed in character the longest. It was still only 100 minutes inside the cell." All might explained, putting back that memorable smile. "however, if we are talking about improvised theatre techniques, I would say Tokoyami and midoriya were actually ahead." He pointed at Tokoyami, who was surprised as he was the first one leave. "you perfectly mimicked the speech patterns and aggressive tendencies of someone who was suffering with addiction, it seemed quite convincing. As for young midoriya, he came up with that extra information like it was natural for him. Compromising is the first step to never breaking character. Overall, you all did very well. Have a good lunch and I think I will see you the day after tomorrow." He said, waving goodbye before zooming out of the hall.

The other two classmates seemed to be content with the goodbye and began to pack their things away. Pretend to ignore the dark energy coming from the blond man. They could hear everything they were saying to each other, and both individuals could admit that what bakugo was pushing at was bellow the belt. Bakugo on the other hand, was mortified with himself, he replayed the words that all might had just said. Of course it was easy from him to act, he had seen it right left and centre. Bakugo realised his acting was influenced by his mum early on, and yet he still pushed him. Indirectly asking personal and harsh topics just to make him tick. In those few moments together alone in the cell, he had forgotten about Deku's sensitive nature and this whole ordeal was just a stupid exercise.

His cheek still hurt.

~*

When they arrived at the lunch hall, they instantly here the shout of their loud friends. Bakugo hoped deku would be hiding within them, hoping to see him laugh and smile. But when they walked closer, he wasn't there. Bakugo felt a pit in his stomach, he didn't know where else he could be, or what he could be doing, Deku was unpredictable like that. "where's midoriya?" kaminari asked patiently, looking up at bakugo with a smirk expression. the smile instantly drifted away as he saw bakugo's expression. before the rest of the class could react, bakugo stormed away, determined to find him.

~*

He couldn't find him. He looked all around the campus, and by the time he had checked the highest floor. the one where their home room was, the bell had rung. Bakugo knew deku wouldn't miss class because he was a nerd, so he opted to wait until after class to talk to the freckled boy. He opened the door of his home room, only to find deku already sitting down in his seat, his head in his hands, looking out the window. Bakugo felt like a fucking idiot for not checking his own homeroom, but his logic was so easily tainted by deku. Deku didn't even look at the door, like he always does, like a puppy getting excited by a new visitor. He seemed too concentrated in his own thoughts. Bakugo hated seeing him like this, he knew deku would never let this go. Bakugo walked to his seat, trying to get a better look at his face, but deku didn't even look back, just staring outside. Bakugo wasn't even sure if deku was ignoring him, or generally didn't know he was there. Bakugo took his seat, which seemed to make deku jump only a little bit. Bakugo felt his inside twist within themselves. Once everyone arrived, including their teacher, who was present mic, the lesson had begun. Deku pensively was writing notes like he usually would, except he didn't have the bounce and excited puppy look, just writing with a plain face. when bakugo passed a copy to him, there was no "thank you Kaachan" or "witty-remark-about Kaachan" .... Just thanks. This felt like a punishment, he already regretted what he had said, could the world give him a break, he just wanted his the sunshine boy back. the lesson felt slow and dead, but when it ended, as bakugo was counting down the seconds, nothing had changed. Deku got up from his set, back his bag and left. Without saying a word to anyone.