Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Secrets

I was still downstairs on the living room, taking frantic steps back and forth, biting the skin around my thumb. Kanina ko pa tinitingnan ang phone ko, checking for any updates. I've been trying to call Colton, too pero cannot be reached. Pati si Yael, kinapalan ko na ang mukha ko, I tried to call him, too pero hindi ito sumasagot.

"Damn it!" Halos ibato ko na ang phone ko dahil ni isa ay wala akong mapagkuhanan nang kakapitan na okay lang si Colton... Na hindi siya ang pilotong iyon.

I was going crazy here. Limang oras na ang nakakaraan simula nang mapanood ko ang balita pero hanggang ngayon ay wala pa rin akong naririnig mula kay Colton.

"Jess." Natigilan ako nang marinig ko ang boses ni Yaya Bebeth. She was holding a glass of water for me, looking at me with her eyes full of concern.

"Sige na, anak. Magpahinga ka na muna at ako na lang ang mag-aantay sa kanya dito."

Mariin kong umiling. "Hindi, Yaya. Hihintayin ko si Colton dito... Uuwi siya... 'Di ba?" I shot her a desperate and begging stare.

Ni hindi ko man lang siya nakausap nang maayos bago siya umalis. We even haven't resolved our argument. He needs to come home to me or else I'll go crazy. Siya na lang ang meron ako.

Tumango siya at hinawakan ako sa balikat. "Umupo ka muna at uminom ng tubig... Kanina ka pa umiiyak." Marahan niya akong iginiya paupo sa sofa, handing me a glass of water. Tinanggap ko iyon, I took a sip but I immediately gave it back to Yaya Bebeth.

Even the water tastes bitter. I just want to see my husband. I just want an assurance that he's safe. Kahit h'wag siyang umuwi ngayong gabi, malaman ko lang na ligtas siya ay ayos na ako. Kahit iyon na lang.

Yaya Bebeth caressed my back, trying to comfort me but the only comfort that I need at the moment is to know that my husband is safe. I know how cunning a virus is, wala itong pinipili. Its only main goal is to find a host where it can survive. Just like what we all are trying to do.

I didn't know how long I stayed there basta ang alam ko lang inaantay ko si Colton kahit na wala akong kasiguraduhan na uuwi siya. I was too occupied to be even aware that I already fell asleep on the couch with heaviness all over my chest.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras na akong natutulog but I woke up not sure of what time is it, but it was still dark. The moon was still huge and shining bright through the huge window, with the white and transparent curtains dancing the view.

Despite being aware that it was still dark, I was still disoriented and my body still feels heavy but the fingers that are gently twirling around my hair sents calm and comfort deep within me.

I slowly tilted my face para makita kung sino ang gumagawa no'n sa akin and my chest was immediately filled with warm and fuzzy feeling the moment I met Colton's onyx eyes.

He was sitting on the carpet with his legs folded up, his left arm was resting above his knees and the other was on my hair, softly caressing it.

He smiles and I began to tear up again as my lips begins to tremble.

"Baby, I'm home," he whispered, still smiling softly at me.

Mula sa pagkakahiga ko sa sofa ay mabilis akong bumangon at umupo paharap sa kanya. I looked at him, my vision blurring because of the tears that didn't stop from streaming the moment I saw him.

I didn't let myself hold back anymore, I just allowed myself to do what it was longing for and that was to hug Colton.

I lean forward, wrapping my arms around his shoulder, hugging him so tight like my life depends on him.