01: cassidy

"You're sure the tag isn't visible?" I ask, trying to crane my neck to see the zipper, but unfortunately my neck isn't long enough to successfully see.

"CJ, stop moving," Noah instructs, continuing to adjust the dress. "Why did you have to get a skin tight dress? It's making it virtually impossible to try and keep this hidden. What's wrong with the other dress I picked out?"

He's only complaining because he's stressed about making this month's rent. If I can collect a few checks tonight then everything will be fine. "There wasn't anything wrong with it, babe. I just liked this one better."

In the reflection from the bathroom mirror, I can see Noah purse his lips, but he doesn't say anything more as he continues to adjust. My hands are holding the edge of the counter that isn't being taken over by makeup, to keep me from falling over because of the awkward way I'm bent.

"Done," He clasps his hands together in front of him, taking a step back from me in the small bathroom giving me room to see how I look. My dark hair is pulled into a loose updo I had to try and do myself because Jupiter is working the late shift tonight at the bar so I can go to this thing. It's messy, but good enough to pass off as an intentional kind of messy. My blue eyes are highlighted with a silver accent in my makeup, and a shimmery gloss makes my lips look plumper than normal.

And the dress...I run my hands gently down the white satin fabric that I could never afford to keep. But oh how I wish I didn't have to take it back.

"The dress was a good idea after all, just don't get anything on it," Noah instructs as the charm bracelet on my wrist twinkles from movement. It's one of the few things I have left from home.

I flash him a brief smile, mentally preparing myself for the pain my cheeks will feel later from all of the kissing ass I have ahead of me tonight. "Do you think that Jenny is here yet?" I ask following him out into the living room.

After checking his phone, Noah nods. "She just pulled up and is waiting for you at the curb."

I double check my clutch for the pamphlets we made for the charity incase people ask. What I'm really hoping for is that the rich people will feel bad, and just give me the money without asking for a ton of information. But if they do ask, I have all of it and more memorized just incase.

"Got it, I'll see you afterwards."

"CJ, wait a second," Noah says and I stop turning to look back at him in confusion.

"I have everything?"

He presses his mouth against mine, and I'm honestly really surprised I didn't end up knocking my head on his forehead. However, I forget that as I melt into him. "I love you," He whispers holding me close to him.

"I love you too."

And then he steps back, "You look great, they're all going to love you tonight."

"I don't want their love Noah, I just want yours," It slips out and he frowns.

His hand runs through his hair ruffling it. "I promise tonight is the last time. The money from my job will start coming in and it'll be okay again."

Except we both know that this isn't the last time I'll be doing this. It'd just be easier if he didn't try and pretend that it was.

I descend the steps holding the side of my dress, trying not to drag it on the dirty floor. I have to turn sideways at one point to squeeze past Mrs. Lewis as she carries up her groceries for the week.

"CJ! You look mighty pretty tonight, what's the occasion?"

Smile brighter, I coach myself instinctively even though I have no reason to. "My friend has an art show tonight that she invited me to. Formal attire required."