19: cassidy

"What on earth are you wearing?" I ask Maddox, trying not to laugh as he looks down at his outfit.

"What's wrong with it?"

I smile, untying his tie, "There'd be nothing wrong with it if you were going to a business dinner, but we're getting drinks with my best friend." I back up until I'm sitting on the edge of his bed again.

Maddox's cheeks flush, "Exactly, she's your best friend. I want to make a good impression."

"You don't need to dress up for us. You look great but I promise you it's not that fancy." I gesture to my outfit of jeans and a v-neck. "Just put on a sweater, some jeans, and we can go."

He grumbles, pulling the tie off before going back into his closet to change. I get why Maddox is stressed, but Jupiter is going to love him. There's no reason to worry. After a few minutes, I hear him whine in frustration, "Can't she just come over here?"

"Maddox, come out. I'm sure you look fine." I try not to giggle because he's making such a big deal out of this. This is a completely different side of him that I'm getting to see because Maddox is always so sure of himself.

Maddox steps out wearing dark ripped jeans and a white t-shirt that hug him nicely. I can tell he didn't shave this morning because his scruff is more obvious. To be frank, he looks hot. "So? Is this okay?"

I nod, biting my lip. "You look good. No reason to be nervous"

"Well I can't wait to see how you're doing when you meet Charlie and Brett," Maddox says. I look curiously at him as I get up.

"I thought I already did the hard part by meeting Hayes and Sephine? Who are they?"

He looks shocked, "I swear I've talked about them."

I pause and wrack my brain to see if he has mentioned them, but I can't recall anything. "Maybe you did, but I wouldn't mind a refresher."

"Brett and I have been best friends since my freshman year of high school, and Charlie and I met my sophomore year of college. Hayes and Sephine are family, but Charlie and Brett are too." He leaves out Dean, and I don't comment on it. They need to figure out their stuff, but I'm staying out of it from now on.

Maddox steps close to me, angling my head to look at my cheek. He does this multiple times a day to see how it's healing, and by this point, I've just learned to let him do it. "It doesn't even hurt anymore."

Thankfully, he had heard me out when I explained that my ex had found the check and been the one to cash it without my knowledge. He was kind and understanding about it, kissing away my worries by telling me there was always more where it came from. Maddox was more worried about me staying away from him, which I had no problem agreeing to.

He presses a soft kiss to the bruise, causing me to smile. "C'mon we're going to be late."

Maddox grabs a denim jacket from his closet as I pull my jacket on. "We wouldn't be running late if you didn't put a dress shirt and tie on to meet Jupiter." We're going back to the Pony Bar because it's a nice halfway point, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jupiter beats us there.

I've been excited for her to meet Maddox because it's a big step for me. Jupiter let me meet her guy, Alex, a few days ago after I suggested having her meet Maddox. I heeded Dean's advice, deciding to wait to tell Maddox my secret, even though it's tearing me up inside.

It just has to be the right moment.

Maddox is quiet on the taxi ride over, and I wish I could read his mind. Instead, I rest my hand on his knee to stop it from bouncing, and he rests his on top of mine.