21: cassidy

Maddox and I had hit a turning point in our relationship. He'd seen the raw parts of me when I told him about my family-or my lack of one-and Maddox had finally let me in about Paige. It was gut wrenching to hear the story because it's clear how much it all still affects him.

The idea of going to Boston is nerve wracking, especially now that I know Charlie is Paige's older sister. Can I ever measure up to the memory of a ghost?

I maneuver easily around Dean, who is washing glasses behind the bar. He gives me a side glance, "It's the night shift, how are you so awake?"

Grabbing the bottle of vodka that I needed, I turn back to where my customer is waiting for their drink. "Here you go, Kyle."

He flashes me a lazy smile, "You're the best, CJ."

Most of the people in the bar had open tabs running, and were sitting at tables instead of the bar. "I'm awake because I took a nap this afternoon. Did you not?"

"I wish, Sephine had me running someplace every hour to get her random food for her cravings." He complains, turning off the water.

"You know she is pregnant right? Cravings are part of the deal," I point out laughing.

Dean rolls his eyes, "Deal for the dad. But Hayes is at work during the day. If only he'd let her leave and go get shit herself, maybe I would have been able to take a nap."

"Or you could make up with Maddox, and he'd probably let you stay with him."

"So much for you staying out of it," Dean remarks, giving me a look.

"You're the one complaining about living in a penthouse with Sephine and Hayes. Poor you," I mock him, and he doesn't point out how right I am.

From someone who lived in a trailer for half my childhood, Jupiter's place is a million times better. "You're still crashing with Jupiter right?"

There's a reason I've started crashing more at Maddox's. His bed is a lot more comfortable than Jupiter's couch.

I nod, scanning the bar again to see if anyone is need of any refills. "Yeah, why?"

He gives me a lopsided grin, "Well we could get a place together, obviously not like together since you're with my brother. But we could be roommates."

"Does this mean you forgive me?"

"I guess that depends on your answer," he responds, shrugging.

"It's actually not a terrible idea, but you realize that would mean that when Maddox comes over you would-" Dean cuts me off by sticking his hand over my mouth.

"Just don't finish that sentence. Think about it and talk to him." Dean tosses an arm over my shoulder while I laugh.

I pinch Dean's side wiggling out from his arm, "You might not want to do that if you plan on getting a tip from your table in the corner." There's a group of women that have started to show up for happy hour after work a few days a week, and they love to ask Dean for their drinks. They're currently sending dirty looks our way.

"Oh just send me to the wolves already," He groans, but leaves the safety of being behind the bar to go check on the table. I've refilled a few drinks by the time he comes back with a grimace on his pretty face, "Never again."

"You were over there for a while, here's a tip one of your customers left after closing their tab," I say, handing Dean the cash I'd tucked under the bar.

He looks at the money happily, and stuffs it into his pocket. "It's so much more gratifying when I've worked for it."

"So do you miss daddy's money?" I tease, and Dean rolls his eyes.