25: cassidy

"Cassidy, why don't you just go talk to him? I've only been here for five minutes, and you haven't been able to take your eyes off of him." Sephine asks, causing me to tear my eyes away from him. I was making her a mocktail without alcohol since she doesn't drink, and well because she's pregnant and can't drink. These are at least more fun than water. Her hands rest on the small bump that's started to show more. Her cocktail dress is fancier than anything anyone else is wearing, but there's nothing she can do about it. Sephine and Hayes came straight from a work event.

"He could just as easily come talk to me," I reply quickly, and she gives me a look.

"Maddox is trying to give you your space. He told me what happened in Boston; he isn't going to force you to talk to him. If it makes you feel any better, he's been moping around since you got back three weeks ago."

I count to two as I measure the colorful strawberry syrup I'm pouring over her glass, "So he told you..." I don't meet her eyes as I trail off.

She rests a hand on my shoulder, "We've all done things we're not proud of in our past. I have no room to judge. Please don't be mad at him for telling me. Maddy needed to talk to someone about it, and he and Charlie still aren't speaking to each other." Sephine uses the term of endearment that I've only heard Charlie use.

I push the drink towards her, "I never meant to come between them."

She smiles sympathetically, "I know you didn't. I'm mad that Charlie took it the way she did, but it also sounds like Maddox handled the situation poorly. They don't fight often, but when they do, it doesn't go well."

"It did not go well at all. I do wish I could have told you about my history myself, but I appreciate you not holding it against me." I say, slowly pouring myself a shot of Bacardi. It doesn't matter that I'm tipsy; the muscle memory keeps my hands steady.

"It's not my place to judge, we've all been through our own shit. I should probably go find my husband though, preferably before he challenges Dean to a drinking game." She chuckles, shaking her head. "I think we both know that Dean will win that one."

I let out my own giggle and nod, "Good luck."

I throw the shot back quickly, trying not to grimace as I pour another.

"Are you sure about this?" Dean asks hesitantly, after I bring another box in.

I rest my hands on my hips, ignoring the pain from the boxes digging into my skin. "I can't live on Jupiter's couch forever. You needed a roommate, and I needed a place to live. There's nothing more to it."

He gives me a flat look, "You know there is more. Have you talked to Maddox about this?"

Truthfully, I haven't spoken to Maddox since we left Boston. I pretended to sleep the entire plane ride home before I ditched him at the airport, which I know is an immature move. I just didn't know what to say. The last thing I wanted to do was cause problems between him and Paige's family.

"I haven't, but I don't think he'll mind."

"Oh, so you don't care that I invited him over for a few drinks tonight to christen the place?" Dean asks, smirking as a curl falls in his face.

I feel my chest squeeze, but I keep my face neutral. "Not at all. I invited Jupiter and Tessa. Sephine said she'll be here at some point, they had an event tonight to attend."

"So, what I'm hearing is that we're getting drunk tonight?" He grins widely, and usually I am completely against it, but I could use a night of letting loose.