22: cassidy

Maddox had grown more relaxed the closer we got to Boston. He's at ease here, happier, but there is a sadness in his eyes that he can't hide. I know it is because of Paige. They met and fell in love here.

He's bouncing Owen on his knee, carefully holding onto him, smiling when he lets out a gurgle. We got here an hour ago, and I wasn't entirely surprised that Charlie is hesitant of me. I am after all dating her dead sister's fiancé. Nick has been friendly.

"Maddox, he's going to spit up on you," Charlie warns smiling.

"You're just jealous because he's going to say my name as his first word, Charlotte." Maddox rebuts and Nick snorts.

"Okay you two, if he says anything it's going to be Dadda, right bub?"

I've mostly been observing them all interact because if my life as a con-artist has taught me anything, it's that you can learn more listening than talking. "How old is he?" I ask, motioning to Owen. Maddox's smile stays on his face when he looks over at me.

"He turned eleven months a week ago," Nick explains, "It's become a race to see what his first word will be: Momma or Dadda. But I guess Maddox is in the running now too."

"I think the x at the end of your name is a little challenging for him," I tease Maddox, and Charlie's face lights up.

"See Maddy! Even your girlfriend agrees that it won't be your name."

Maddy?

I guess there is a look of confusion on my face because Nick leans over to explain it as they argue, "Charlie's real name is Charlotte, but she doesn't like going by it. Maddox likes to push her buttons, so in return she calls him Maddy."

"Huh, makes sense I guess." I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say to that.

Nick rolls his eyes, "Not really, they're being childish, but it's good for them to knock each other down a few pegs."

My mouth quirks upwards into a smile, "I think I'd have to agree with you on that."

Maddox brings Owen up into a standing position, "Owen, can you say Maddy? Maddy?"

Owen giggles in response and tries to grab Maddox's nose, instead of saying his name. My heart melts a little bit watching the encounter. "Okay bubba, I think it's time for someone's nap," Charlie coos. Maddox reluctantly hands Owen over.

But as soon as Owen leaves Maddox's arms, Owen sniffles and Nick flinches. "Oh no. Right on cue."

Owen lets out a loud wail, and I almost want to cover my ears with how piercing it is. "Shit, I'm so sorry. Here I can put him down for his nap if you want?" Maddox offers while Charlie tries to soothe Owen.

She hands him over without argument, "You get to change his diaper too."

When Owen blinks and notices that Maddox is holding him again, he stops crying. "Shit," He giggles and the room falls silent. "Shit," Owen repeats, trying to grab Maddox's nose again.

'Oh that is definitely not good,' I think to myself as Charlie's jaw hangs open. She turns to look at Nick, and points at Owen. "Was his first word..."

"Shit?"

Maddox tries to hold in his laughter, but he fails miserably, "I'm so sorry, but I think I'm going to go put him down for his nap now."

Charlie collapses on the couch, and has a stunned look on her face.

I choose to stay quiet because I have absolutely no idea on what I'm supposed to say in this scenario. I really don't want Maddox to go but he's already gone when Nick bursts into laughter that has him almost doubled over. "Charlie, I told you to stop cursing around him. He's certainly your kid."