06: cassidy

I am actually bat shit crazy if I think tonight is going to go well. I feel like I'm playing fucking Cinderella in this dress but the only difference is that I get to keep my dress at the end of tonight. Tomorrow is when I go back to my jeans and t-shirts at the bar while the dress gets stuffed in the back of the closet where I know that Noah won't find it because he could care less about clothes.

Until it comes to a con. Then it becomes all about the appearance but tonight he isn't home. I'd be lying if I said I missed him today but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't want to see him.

Confusing, right?

"Miss, are you going to get out of the car? The meter is still running and I think you'd much rather go inside than sit there any longer," The taxi driver suggests and I smooth my hair down one more time.

Deep breath in, exhale slowly. "Sorry sir, here you go. Thanks again."

"Have fun tonight," He replies after taking my cash and I open the door almost run over by the scent of the street thanks to the restaurant I'm about to eat in. In this dress, I feel like I'm in the right place.

Maddox is pacing in front of the steps leading up to the entrance but stops when he sees me and a smile immediately forms on our faces. "Wow and I thought you looked good last time I saw you in the dress," He compliments giving me a once over and I roll my eyes that are adorned with dramatic smoky makeup to compliment the dress.

"It was only a few hours ago," I reason and he shrugs continuing to smile after offering me his arm which I hesitantly take.

"If I'm being honest, there was a part of me that didn't think you were going to come, but I'm glad that you did." His bluntness surprises me as we walk into the restaurant but I don't get the chance to respond because we're greeted by the hostess. "Table for two under the name Benson?"

"Please follow me right this way Mr. Benson," She smiles politely and it's interesting to me that she doesn't bat a second glance at him because even I have to admit that he looks good. It's hard not to stare at him.

The restaurant is filled with people and I do my best not to make eye contact with any of them based on the off-hand chance that I've already met them.

This was a bad fucking idea.

"Cass you need to breathe or you're going to pass out," He murmurs and it's only after he's pointed it out that I realize I've been holding my breath. It doesn't even register in my mind that he called me Cass instead of Cassidy.

I take a second to close my eyes letting Maddox blindly lead me, 'CJ pull your shit together or he's going to find out who you really are.'

I'm not sure how Maddox did it with such little notice but we are being seated at the back of the restaurant with flickering candles at every table in the corner out of prying eyes which I could not be more thankful for. "I know you're going to think I'm just being polite but you look beautiful," He compliments and a smile forms on my face.

It's nice being told that. The only thing that Noah had said to me before he left tonight was to inform me to not wait up for him. I try not to think about what he's off doing.

I'd be lying if I said that the attention wasn't nice. "Thanks, Maddox, you look pretty good yourself."

He smiles back at me, "It does so happen on occasion that I can clean up nicely."

The scoff escapes my mouth before I could stop it, "You look nice every time I see you."

Maddox brushes me off and picks up his menu and I follow suit. The parts of me that are CJ are threatening to show through as my jaw nearly drops once I see the prices of the meals but then I think through the lenses of Cassidy and it all looks normal to me. Funny how a change in mindset can do that to someone.