08: maddox

I didn't think of the repercussions that would occur once I asked Cassidy if I could kiss her. I hadn't thought about our proximity to the line of cameras at the exit and how she would be thrown into my family's world of craziness. All I thought was how I didn't want her to leave and from what I could tell, she didn't want me to leave either.

"Have you talked to her since the party?" Brett asks tossing the magazine on the table and Charlotte just shakes her head at me taking a sip of her wine.

"I think that if she wanted to talk to him, she would have by now. She probably just wanted her fifteen minutes of fame and now she got it." She says bluntly while Brett gives her a look.

It's something I'd thought of myself but I didn't want to believe it, I just haven't seen her since the papers were released. "I haven't heard from her but I don't think that's what's happening. She always seemed to be blending in with the background. Honestly, I didn't even see her the first time we met."

Brett snorts reaching for Charlie's wine, "The dress in that photo is anything but blending in the background."

The dress I bought for her, "She didn't want to wear it, I asked her to. The one she was going to wear instead was so... boring. But Cassidy, she's anything but boring," I defend quickly. "She even held her own when she met Dean and he was being his special self that night."

"Dean was there?"

I shrug, "He's supposed to be in Dubai but he just doesn't care what anyone thinks. I just haven't been able to decide if I tell her about Paige or if I'm even ready to tell her about Paige." What if I'm not ready?

"Look, I know how much you loved my sister but she never wanted you to put your life on hold for her. It's been three years Maddox," Charlie says softly and I can't meet her eyes.

I let out a shaky breath looking down at my hands, "I'm not putting my life on hold for her. I just-" I swallow the lump in my throat, "I don't know. I don't want to talk about Paige." Even though I brought her up which Charlie thankfully doesn't point out.

"Have you even told her about Boston?" Brett asks seriously now and I shake my head.

"Cassidy mentioned it once when Gabby told her but I don't even know if that's happening anymore. Hayes was going to let me transfer and open a branch there. But now the COO is stepping down for health reasons and he wants to recommend me for the position." Going to Boston was supposed to be a break. Spend some time with Charlie and her son while getting to know more of the pieces that made Paige the person she was.

Charlie leans against the back of the couch, "Have you considered the possibility of staying here? While Nick and I appreciate the offer, we are perfectly capable of taking care of Owen. You're always welcome to come visit on weekends if you desire to feel the loss of sleep parents get."

I crack a smile at her, "I have considered it but I mean who can resist Owen's little smile?"

Brett laughs heartedly, "That kid is going to break some hearts when he gets older."

"Not if I have anything to do with it," Charlie retorts as she smiles with us. "But Maddox, you do know that you don't have to wait for her to reach out, right? You have a phone right next to you too."

"Yeah, you're right. I just don't want to push her more than I already have."

I've pacing back and forth on the terrace for almost ten minutes deciding if I should call her or not. I mean her trying to leave the party without a goodbye should have been my hint that she didn't want to be there. Clearly, I must have pushed her too hard because Cassidy didn't want me to buy her the dress. I then ignored her when she asked me to return it, and then to make matters worse, I kissed her in front of a dozen photographers. And now, we're on the front page of a tabloid.