27: cassidy

'Maddox's hand fits nicely in mine,' I think as we walk. It's a beautiful day and coincidentally was my day off. We're heading towards Hayes and Sephine's for their baby shower which I'm sure is going to be quite the extravagant affair. I've got a pale pink sundress on, and he's wearing a matching color button up with khaki pants.

"So how many people do you think will be there?" I ask, swinging our arms in synchronization.

Maddox shrugs, "It could honestly be anywhere from fifty to one hundred people. Could be less, could be more. I never know quite what to expect with Hayes and Sephine."

I try not to let the thought of it intimidate me. "It sounds like it'll be fun," I say, making sure to keep my voice upbeat.

"Trust me, I'm not too excited about the idea of a lot of people either. We can definitely expect to see my uncle and his wife, Sephine's parents, and Grayson and Tessa. Parts of the board will probably be there, and I'm almost positive that a lot of Sephine's friends will be there."

"How many people do they know?" I ask, shocked by the number of people that he's casually listed off.

Maddox chuckles, squeezing my hand tightly. "It'll be okay. This baby is a big deal for a lot of reasons. With my family, it's expected there be an heir within a few years of the marriage. They've been married four-five years? It all comes with being the first born. If Hayes and Sephine weren't able to have children, then the company would fall to me and my kids if something were to ever happen to them." Maddox's kids? I guess that is something we should have talked about two weeks ago.

"It sounds like this is a lot more complicated than a normal pregnancy. It's not as if you're royalty."

"Tell me about it. But if you look at the company as a whole, it's worth billions. It's expected to stay in the family. They've wanted kids for a while now. But they've had a rough go with their miscarriages. I'm really happy for them because Hayes and Sephine deserve it," Maddox explains before sighing. "I'm hoping it goes smoothly, but I will be surprised if nothing happens."

I give him a side look, "Maddox I think you're being a bit dramatic."

He smiles and laughs, "I think that you're going to wish we had stayed home."

"Whatever," I retort, bumping him with my hip.

We've been in a good place since talking everything through. A few days after going through everything, Maddox started seeing a therapist to help him understand his feelings. It's been really good for him.

When we get to the penthouse, it's completely decked out in everything pink. Pink cupcakes, pink balloons, pink everything. I try to recover from my awe after looking at Maddox who doesn't even seem phased by it all.

Sephine greets us with a smile and hugs, "I'm so glad you guys could come. Help yourself to anything, Tess went a little overboard with everything."

"I think you'd be surprised how much food I can pack away," I joke, causing Sephine to laugh.

Her hands rest on her growing stomach, "Oh me too. It's going to be so hard to go back to my diet before this little peanut."

A man I haven't met yet comes up behind Sephine with a smile, "Maddox, good to see you again. You must be..." He trails off uncertain of who I am.

Maddox chuckles, "Hey Ollie, this is my girlfriend Cassidy."

I run the name Ollie through my head quickly trying to place it. Sephine's mentioned him a few times for sure, but I can't place who he is. "Nice to meet you," I smile, and he grins back. Maybe this won't be as bad as Maddox predicted it would be.