Chapter 9: Zeref

"How strong is he exactly?" Erza asked Natsu as they ran deeper into the cave.

"I dunno, he's pretty strong. I had a hard time fighting him."

"How...much...further...?" Wendy panted.

Natsu grinned. "Not that much farther, don't worry."

"Do you guys feel that magic power?!" Lucy gasped.

"Holy crap! That's insane!" Gray cried.

"Natsu! Why didn't you give us a warning?!" Happy whined.

Natsu snickered. "Hehehehe."

"That's not funny Natsu!" Lucy screamed.

"Natsu's friends have arrived." They rounded a corner to find Zeref smirking at them. "I'm sad. I wanted to just fight you, Natsu." 

"Too bad!" Erza requipped. "Heaven's Wheel!"

Zeref yawned and the swords fell to the ground.

"What?" Erza was shocked. Her face turned scarlet as she requipped into her nakagami armor.

"What now?" Lucy squeaked.

Natsu dashed forward and hit Zeref with his fire dragon iron fist. "We keep attacking!"

"Go Natsu!!" Happy cheered.

"Come on Wendy, unison roar!" Natsu called.

"Sky dragon roar!" Wendy yelled.

"Fire dragon roar!" 

Zeref smiled and a dark aura came forward. "I hope you all realize what you got yourselves into."

Dark magic flowed towards Wendy. Gray jumped in front of her. "Ice make shield!" The magic easily broke through.

Wendy gasped as dark magic whirled around her. "E-Erza?" She whispered.

"Leave Wendy alone!" Erza slashed Zeref's shoulder. He frowned and raised his hand. Silence filled the cave. Everyone was frozen except for Natsu.

"What the hell?" Natsu said looking at the frozen Lucy next to him.

"Natsu, I thought you were told not to reveal where you were going." Zeref walked forward.

"I didn't say my location directly, I hid it in a code!" Natsu hit Zeref with his wing attack.

"STOP!" Zeref commanded. "Unless you want all of your friends to die. Starting with that little dragon slayer."

"Don't you dare hurt Wendy!" Natsu growled.

"Listen, Natsu. Don't you know why you're here?"

"You lied to me! You said Dad had left me something, but all I found was you."

"He's not even your real dad." Zeref scoffed.

"I don't care!" Natsu yelled. "He's family! He raised me and taught me everything I know!" He filled with rage and knocked Zeref against the wall. Zeref was winded and his immobilization spell lifted.

"Whoa, what happened?!" Gray gaped at Zeref, who was stuck in the wall.

"I warned you, Natsu!" Zeref yelled furiously. He stood up and aimed at Wendy. "Death orb!" Dark magic wrapped around Wendy. Her eyes widened in terror. Suddenly, she started screaming in pain. Her tiny voice ripped through everyone's hearts.

"Make it stop! Please, make it stop!" She cried.

"Wendy!" Lucy yelled. She turned to Zeref, fuming. "Star Dress: Sagittarius Form! Star shot!" Several arrows penetrated Zeref.

"Let Wendy go!" Carla scratched Zeref's face with her claws.

Zeref smirked and sent a wave of black magic out, knocking everyone to the floor.

Suddenly, the cloaked man rushed past Zeref and ran out of the cave. 

"That's that guy!" Natsu groaned. "The guy who brought me here."

"Oh no you don't!" Gray charged after him.

"Wendy!" Erza yelled. "Wake up!"

Lucy rushed over. "Is she breathing?" 

"It's very shallow." Erza said gravely.

"Erza, you and Carla get Wendy out of here!" Natsu commanded.

"What about you and Lucy?" She picked up Wendy.

Natsu grinned. "We'll be ok."

"Aye sir!" Happy called.

Lucy smirked and changed into her Taurus star dress. She smiled at Erza as she and Carla left.

"You ready to do this, Luce?" Natsu asked.

"You know it." Lucy replied confidently.

"You're insane if you think the two of you can beat me!" Zeref cackled.

"We're not insane! We're Fairy Tail!" Natsu and Lucy charged forward.