Chapter 14: Watching Zeref

"What time is it?" Natsu asked Lucy. She shrugged and summoned Horologium. 

"It is approximately 9:03." Horologium stated. Lucy smiled in appreciation and closed his gate.

"That's it?!" Natsu whined.

"Natsu, you've got to stop complaining." Lucy sighed. She crossed her arms and sat on the ground next to the cage. Natsu joined her.

"But I'm so bored!" He complained.

"So am I!" She rolled her eyes. Natsu poked her nose.

"You know what we could do?" He asked.

"What?" 

"FIGHT EACH OTHER!" Natsu exclaimed.

"WHAT?! NO! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING ZEREF YOU IDIOT!" Lucy screamed.

Natsu clamped a hand over her mouth. "Shh! You'll wake Erza..."

"Natsu." A calm voice said from behind him.

"He's awake!" Lucy whispered.

"Oh crap...What do you want Zeref?" He snapped.

"You should be kinder to your brother." Zeref reprimanded.

"You're not my brother! I ain't got any!" Natsu frowned.

"You just don't remember." Zeref sighed. "400 years ago, we were young boys. We lived with our mother and father and-"

"Stop making up crap! I was raised by Igneel. Alone. And then I joined Fairy Tail." Natsu glared at Zeref.

"Speaking of Igneel, how is he?" Zeref smirked. "Oh, oops, I forgot he was dead!"

"Don't talk about Igneel!" Natsu demanded. "You have no right to speak his name!"

"Is that so?" Zeref asked.

"Yes, now shut up and go to sleep or I'll make ya!" Natsu growled.

"Calm down Natsu, you don't want to make him angry..." Lucy said nervously.

"Lucky Lucy Heartfilia." Zeref mused.

"Huh?!" Lucy yelped.

"I knew your mother, Layla. You're the spitting image of her." Zeref said as he stared at Lucy.

Natsu glared daggers at him. "Stop staring at her!"

"You knew my mom?" Lucy whispered.

"Yes, in fact she helped me."

"What?! She helped you?!" Lucy's jaw dropped.

"Luce, he's making stuff up! Don't believe him." Natsu scowled.

"Yes, she helped with the 400 year plan. If you let me out, I'll tell you more about your mother." His eyes shifted to Natsu. "And Igneel."

"No way in hell!" Natsu snapped.

"My mom..." Lucy said, dazed. Memories of her mom's death swept through her mind. Her eyes filled with tears.

"You know how she died right?" Zeref asked. "She used her life force in place of the twelfth golden zodiac key."

"STOP!" Lucy screamed, covering her ears. "I don't want to hear anymore!"

"I thought I told you to shut up!" Natsu swung his face against Zeref's face, knocking him unconscious. He looked at Lucy, his eyes filled with worry. "You okay, Luce?"

"Yeah.." She whispered, her face buried in her arms. "Bad memories just came up."

Natsu wrapped his arms around her. "I'm sorry." He felt bad. Lucy hadn't remembered her mom's death in a long time.

"I'm sorry too." She put her arms around Natsu's neck. They sat like this for a long time, remembering things they didn't want to remember.

A certain icicle's voice ruined their moment. "Ew, why you guys being so cuddly?" Gray scoffed.

They both let go of each other. "We aren't!"

"Whatever, it's our turn to watch Zeref." He said impatiently.

"It's already midnight?!" Natsu exclaimed.

"I guess we fell asleep." Lucy muttered.

"Have fun." Natsu smirked at Gray.

"Where's Erza?" Lucy asked.

"Right here." Erza said from behind Lucy.

Lucy yelped. "AH!"

"Quiet!" Erza barked.

Lucy turned red and shut her mouth.

"You two can go sleep now." Erza said.

"Ok, what time are we leaving?" Natsu asked.

"7-ish." Erza replied.

"So early..." Natsu mumbled.

"What?" Erza glared at him.

"Nothin'." His face contorted in fear. He grabbed Lucy's hand and ran back to the camp.

Gray sighed and plopped down in front of the cage. "What're we gonna do if he wakes up?"

"I'll knock him back out." Erza said, matter-of-factly.

"Oh..." There was an awkward moment of silence.

"So how's it feel to have Juvia back?" Erza finally asked.

"It's great, but I feel bad. I left her behind because I thought she had died. I abandoned her! I'm such a horrible person..." Gray let his bangs cover his eyes.

"You're not. You were dealing with the loss of a loved one. She understands that. She lost all of us for a long time. Just talk to her, and you'll feel better."

"You're right. Thanks, Erza." Gray smiled.

"No problem." Erza replied.

"So how long do we gotta watch Zeref?" He yawned.

Erza let an exasperated sigh.