If Looks Could Kill

Anastasia's POV

Anastasia's POV

My phone pinged just as I was brushing my hair, and I could feel a blush crossing my cheeks as I realised Quinn had sent me a message. After my father had explained who he was, I decided to take a stab in the dark and see for myself if the boy was just as my father assumed him to be.

A worrywart was what I could deduct from our brief conversation. 

I snuggled into Mr Tulip, who happened to be a plush bear I had received one year as a gift from my nonno, as I debated whether to open the message now, or later on when Evelyn was supposed to come over.

Eh, Evelyn could wait. 

From: doggielover15

Good morning, Anastasia. Did you sleep well?

I snickered to myself at the name, though had to admit it was sweet. Clearly someone had changed that for him once, and he hadn't had the heart to change it since.

Well it was either that or he really was a fifteen-year-old dog lover.

I scooted out of my bed, placing on a dressing robe that had my initials embroidered on it in a light purple thread. My nonna Valerie had once been a seamstress, and had created this for me when I was thirteen. It had been one of the last items she had ever created before being diagnosed with breast cancer, so I cherished the garment highly.

There was some shuffling in the kitchen as I descended the staircase, and so I crept down as quietly as I could, not expecting what my poor, innocent eyes were exposed to.

My elder brother, and my best friend, exchanging saliva so loudly and vividly, I thought perhaps they were filming for a television show. Although the moans clearly were too rushed and weird to be on tv.

"Oh this is fucking gold," I commented, leaning against the wall with a smug grin. Jacob and Evelyn parted instantaneously, though my brother kept a tight grip on Eve's waist, and the glare sent my way could've killed me, if, you know, looks could kill.

"Anastasia, why the fuck aren't you sleeping?" Jacob asked incredulously, looking up at the clock. "It's seven in the morning, you are never up at this time of the morning!"

I shrugged my shoulders, walking through the kitchen to grab the box of Rice Bubbles. "It's called being spontaneous, my not-so-single brother," I replied, swinging past them to grab the milk from the fridge. "You guys can keep on going, don't mind me. I'm just going to casually eat my rice bubbles as you make my niece or nephew."

"Whose giving me grandbabies?" my mamma asked, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Evelyn in Jacob's arms. Evelyn blushed whilst Jacob thumped his head against her shoulder, groaning. "Oh, keep on going, there's a nice spare bedroom upstairs that could be a nursery!"

"Mum, don't encourage them! Jacob's whiney enough about her, imagine Eve being pregnant! He'd be bloody whining about how much he loves her every two seconds," Grayson said in a whiney tone, taking a seat next to me. "Besides, you shouldn't be encouraging under-age sex!"

"I'm eighteen, dumbass," Jacob said with a roll of her eyes. Evelyn thumped his side with her fist. "Okay, so she might not be seventeen yet, but we're practically adults!"

"Oh, I must find some nice wedding invitation templates! Hazel dear, could you bring up that Pinterest site on my laptop," my mother called out, and after a few seconds, Hazel bounded down the stairs as chirpy as ever, handing her the laptop. 

"Took you both long enough," she said with a grin, saluting them both. "At least mamma and papà with be a nonno and nonna to one child. The rest of us are off the hook now!"

"Geez, does this family not know what inside voices are?" Charlie grumbled, slumping down the stairs. He paused at the sight of Eve and Jake, before wafting his hand at them. "I don't even want to know unless I'm eating. Ana, hit me up with some rice bubbles."

"Grayson, you owe me $100," I whispered, nudging his side, and he buried his head in his elbow, before his hand dug into his pocket, bringing out his wallet. As he placed the money in my hand, Hazel held her hand out towards him expectantly, her facial expression smug.

"You owe me too brother. I said before Halloween, and you said after, and guess what!" She pinched his cheeks for added dramatics. "It's before Halloween!" 

"You guys bet on us?" Evelyn asked in disbelief, and we all froze, looking at the new couple with wide eyes.

"NooOoo."

Our simultaneous response was answer enough.

"Ah, buongiorno mia famiglia!" my father called out from the staircase, with quite the spring in his step. "I have news."

"So do we, papà. Ding ding ding, we have a winner! You have won a single grandchild!" Grayson called out, bounding from his seat to hug both of my parents. "Note, the terms and conditions of this prize are as follows. Said grandchild will only come from Evelyn and Jacob, and contract may not be changed."

Papà just blinked as he stared at all of us, his eyes lingering on Eve and Jake. His head tilted, and he just breathed, before breaking out into a wide grin. "Nathan, dear boy! You owe me five car washes!"

"PAPA!" Jacob sighed, moving so that he was behind Evelyn to lean his chin on her shoulder. My father smiled at them both with a twinkle in his eyes, before clearing his throat, earning all of our attention. Even Nathan, who had walked downstairs at the last second, hurried to a seat.

"What is your news, Papà?" Hazel asked. She had found herself seated beside Charlie, and he lazily slung his arm over her shoulders, his eyes darting to her newly stitched eyebrow every few minutes.

"We shall be having guests over for dinner tonight, so it will be a formal supper. Your uncle Roman will be there with Alex, and I have personally invited Quinn Walker to join us, alongside his company, Rodrigo and Gabriella Gonzalez. Gabriella is only thirteen, so I'll tell you now, watch your language."

I'm pretty sure everyone's jaws dropped. 

"You mean I'm going to finally have someone my age?" That came from Hazel.

"Oh fuck no. That little English wanker is going nowhere near this house." 

Jacob, always using such pleasant words when he described others. 

"This is unbelievable," Grayson muttered, his Italian accent seeming to thicken as he became violent with his wrists. "Papà, sei serio? Lui è il nemico!"

"Enough, Grayson," Charlie said calmly, standing up. "Do not forget papà is the leader. If he believes them to be safe, we trust his judgement."

My mother shot my eldest brother a grateful glance, before eyeing us all. 

It was the 'you best all behave or don't bother turning up' kind of look, and we all shuddered. "I expect each of you to dress appropriately," she warned, looking at Nathan as she said those last few words. "That means no sports jumpers, and for the love of god, do not just turn up in your jocks and socks!"

Each of my brothers looked down to their various basketball and AFL jumpers they were currently wearing, before smiling sheepishly at mamma. "Sì mamma," they all said in unison, before everyone went in different directions, doing whatever they needed to for the day.