The Outskirts of London

Anastasia's POV

Anastasia's POV

I woke up to find myself lying in one of the most comfiest beds ever. I was still in the clothes I had left my family in, except for my shoes, which were lying by the door. Pulling myself up, I walked quietly over to the large window of the room. It was a floor to ceiling window, and looking down I saw I was only on the second floor of a building, facing gardens full of secret hiding spots and trees most definitely native to somewhere cold.

The door creaked open, and Gabriella poked her head in, now dressed in a summer dress. A few scars lined her shoulders and collarbone, but she did not hide them, looking at them with a sad smile when she noticed me staring.

"They're from my mamá and papá," she explained, running a tan finger over the one that sat directly over her collarbone. "They're reminders that Rod saved me and gave me a better childhood here than what he had in Spain."

"Do they hurt?" I asked, standing up. She shook her head, coming to my side to assist me.

"Sometimes I get what doctors call a 'phantom pain', where I feel like they're bleeding even though I know they aren't. But no, for the most part, they don't. They're memories," she said gently, helping me out of the room to a rather elegant double story apartment.

"Where are we, exactly?"

"This is my place," Rod answered from the bottom of the stairs, besides Quinn, who'd also had a change of clothes. "It's off the books, a gift from our abuela. It's the safest place for all of you, so long as you stay inside. Once you go outside, you're kind of on your own."

"Rod," Quinn said, shooting him a deadpan look.

"I'm just being honest, Quinn. Honesty is the best policy," he said, raising his hands in surrender. He sauntered off towards what I assumed was the kitchen, flipping Quinn off as he did, and Quinn raised his hand up to clasp mine, taking me from Gabby. 

"Right, I'm going to the pool with Hazel and the boys. You joining?" she asked us both. Quinn looked at me, and I shrugged, before he shook his head.

"We'll stay here for a while, Gabs, but we might join you guys later," he replied, ruffling her hair with a fond smile. Gabby grinned at both of us, before running up the staircase, towards a door further down the hall. After she disappeared inside, Quinn walked with me to a set of large oak double doors, which were carved so intricately, I knew they were at least a century old.

"This house, it dates back to the 16th century," Quinn explained, pushing down on the brass doorhandles. "It belonged to a rather wealthy lord, and Rod's abuela had a claim to it a long time ago, when the last of the lords legitimate descendants passed away."

Finally, the doors creaked open, and I gasped at the sheer size of the library before me, full from floor to ceiling with books. Some were centuries old, tattered and torn, whilst others were newer, including biographies of up and coming celebrities. 

"This - this is amazing, Quinn," I said, doing an entire circle just to catch a glimpse of every corner of the library. Little plaques sat above each individual section, slightly rusted from their age, and I traced my hand along the highest shelf I could reach, glad to see there were ladders around to access the higher books.

"It is. Every time I visit this place, I go here first. It's peaceful, helps me think" Quinn said, placing a gentle hand around my waist.

I didn't shrug it off.

"Where exactly is this place?" I questioned, walking at a slow pace with Quinn around the library.

"England, dear lady," he answered, putting on a rather posh accent. "Right on the outskirts of London, actually. This is the last place anyone would check for us, because it's quite stupid to return to the place you're originally running from, which is why it's so ingenious."

I nodded, humming in agreement, before finding a plush armchair to sit down on, dragging Quinn down with me. He took a seat on the arm of the chair, whilst I kicked my legs over the other arm, leaning my head back against his hip.

"Anastasia?" he asked gently, playing with some loose strands of my hair.

"What's up, buttercup?" I replied, grinning up at Quinn as he moved his hands dangerously close to my cheeks. The innocent yet intimate moment sent shivers down my spine, and I had to remind myself that I had barely known Quinn for more than a few days, and I had already kissed him once.

Was this going too fast?

"I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me." 

Oh. Maybe he didn't think this was going too fast?

"Yes," I breathed, placing my hands over the ones on my cheeks. "I would be honoured."

I went to go kiss his the palm of his hand, but Quinn leant down, pressing his soft lips to my mouth. Unlike our first kiss, this one was pure joy, a little sloppier but nonetheless more passionate. 

I opened my mouth as Quinn's hand slid down my neck, straight towards my chest, and my back arched when he nipped at my lips, clearly enjoying this just as much as I would.

Nothing I had ever seen or read about kissing how described how euphoric it could feel. 

I parted from him, only to breathe, and as I stared up into his gentle eyes, a smiled danced across my face. I reached up to trace the high arch of his cheek, following the natural descent down to his lips, which were now swollen and pink from our kiss.

He was beautiful. 

"Thank you," he whispered, closing his eyes as my hand traced his jawline. "Thank you for giving me a chance, Anastasia."

He leant down again, this time placing a softer kiss to my lips, and strung his fingers through my hair, leaning his forehead against mine. His eyelashes tickled my hairline, and I closed my eyes, relishing in the way my heart felt at how this man treated me.