Part 27: Obligations

The next day Nova woke up before Q and sat up to rub the sleep out of her eyes. Oddly enough she actually slept decent, given everything that she went through the day before. She assumed it was because of how long of a day it was, she nearly passed out the moment her head hit the pillow. 

She slowly moved her feet off the side of the bed and stood up with a big stretch and a yawn. She made her way to the bathroom to do her business and then padded her way to the kitchen to see if Q had any coffee. 

Normally in someone else's house, she wouldn't be so brazen to get it herself, but she had this weird knowing with Q from their old status where she felt comfortable enough that she didn't think he would mind. She knew that he would have wanted her to make herself at home, and to an extent that was what she planned to do. 

It took her a little bit of rustling around to find it, but five cabinets and three drawers later, she found everything that she needed. As the coffee brewed, she heard a little mew and turned to see Chessie and Brooklyn staring at her eagerly in the kitchen entrance.

 Still no sign of Benjamin Cat. 

"Well hello there" Nova said sweetly, looking down at the two little faces that were peering up at her. With that, both cats walked into the kitchen and began to dance around her legs, singing for their breakfast, hoping Nova would get the hint. 

"Oh...You guys must be hungry" She said. "Now where would your father keep your food?"

At the mention of food, Chessie began to scream as Brooklyn followed his lead over to their dishes. Sure enough they were empty. 

"Okay okay, calm down...We will figure this out...Now lets see" Nova hushed the hungry cats as she scanned the kitchen for where Brian might keep their food. She searched a couple of the lower kitchen cabinets and had no such luck. She could feel the cats growing more and more upset with her as if they knew she was not looking in the right places. 

"Alright alright! Chill out guys, you aren't exactly making this easy!" Nova sassed back at the cats while they tried to rub against her legs while she searched. 

Finally she looked in the lower level of the pantry and found a big bag of cat food. She smiled and picked up their dishes as both cats went silent and she poured a generous amount of food in each bowl. She even found a small tub of cat treats and placed a few on top of each dish as a way to make up for taking so long on feeding them. She also put food in Benjamin's dish, assuming that he would want to eat too, eventually. 

As the cats gobbled up their food, Nova continued to tend to the coffee situation and then climbed up on a bar stool, feeling her first initial sip work it's way throughout her body. She smiled, which was the usual reaction that her morning coffee gave her.

 She even poured Q a cup, knowing that he would be down soon enough, fixing it for him just as she remembered he liked it. She knew from past experience that if anything could pull him out of a deep sleep, it was coffee. He wasn't exactly a morning person from what she recalled. 

Sure enough, She heard some shuffling and in walked Brian Quinn with a messy bed head and a look of fatigue over his eyes. They caught each other's glances and Nova smiled, raising her eye brows up at him. "Good morning!" She said cheerfully.

Brian grunted out a greeting and made his way over to the coffee pot. As he walked past her, she smoothly handed him the cup of coffee that she prepared for him, giving him a little smile. He stopped for a moment and looked at her, graciously grabbing the mug from her and taking  sip. Their eyes did all the talking for them in that moment and Brian couldn't help but smile and nod that she remembered how he liked his coffee.