A Small World

Omg why did I say that?! Could've been anything like 'I like chocolate' or 'I enjoy reading' or 'I don't know! something that would make people actually like me?!' Baka. Why am I like thissss. You take your seat quickly and slump over. Why is this happening to meee???

You feel cold sweat running down your back as you hear the awful gossip and rumours spreading throughout the class. You try placing your hands over your ears but suddenly you hear a loud crash of stuff falling off the table.

"Oops my bad!" Sugawara chuckled as he quickly bent over to claim his stuff

Was that intentional? No, it couldn't be. It was probably an accident. Yeah thats it.

As the class settles down, you look at the silver haired boy. You make eye contact again but this time he knew what you were thinking. His face read "you're welcome," making your cheeks turn bright red.

Omg, I wasn't overthinking? Was he doing that to save me from embarrassment?

You both share a textbook as he forgot his. You're both at close proximity and you can smell his scent.

Hmm, he smells like sweet candy from my favourite store. Agh (F/N)! Focus!

"By the way class, the person beside you is your lab partner! Please gather your materials and start the labs." the teacher instructed.

You quickly jot down notes and preoccupy yourself by setting up the titration system. You collected beakers, stir-sticks and safety goggles for the both of you. Sugawara collected the lab-coats that were at the opposite side of the class. You can't help but notice the way he looks in the lab-coat as he drapes it onto his broad shoulders.

He looks so professional. He kinda looks like a hot doctor. Gah! (F/N)! Not important right now!

"Here Shimizu-san" He says kindly, passing you your lab-coat. You slip it on and the sleeves were too long. You forgot how big third-years are compared to you. He notices you struggling with the sleeves.

"Here let me help." He casually lifts the ends of your sleeves and rolls them neatly and evenly. While he does that, you can feel his soft fingers grazing your tiny wrists.

"Ah, you didn't have to Sugawar--"

"It's okay, safety first. And you can call me Suga." He smiles

Suga. It has a nice ring to it.

You smile and in a soft voice you say,

"Thank you... Suga"

You try to make eye contact but he quickly looks away and shoves his safety glasses on.

Ah, I should've worn contacts today.

You slide off your glasses and place them gently on the table. You catch Suga staring.

"Um, is something on my face?" you asked.

"Nono It's nothing!" He said frantically waving his arms, "You just look nice without your glasses. Kinda reminds me of someone"

You look away, feeling embarrassed and grab the other pair of safety goggles. Ignoring his comment and the way your throat was tightening from your nervous breakdown.

"Lets start shall we." you said, clearing your throat. One thing that you were confident about was that academics was your strong suit. Talking, not so much. In fact you're pretty socially awkward. You only had one best friend in middle school and you doubt you'd make friends in high school. Unless...

You glance at Suga. He was concentrating at the task at hand and you couldn't help but find him attractive. Very attractive.

Focus Shimizu-San.

Taking the clear solution you start the experiment by heating it within the beaker and set the temperature just right on the small burner. While waiting for that to heat up, you jot down the next step from the textbook. Interrupting your thoughts, Suga says,

"Soooo.... Shimizu-san. Why don't you like volleyball?"

Goosebumps formed at the back of your neck. You turn abruptly to face him.

"Huh?" Your head tilts sideways in questioning. Your eyes lock onto his hazel ones, and for once you didn't break eye contact because you thought it wasn't 'awkward', you enjoyed looking at him. It's as if you couldn't stop looking at him.

"Oh sorry." he chuckled. "If it's a sensitive topic I won't pry"

"Oh no its not, it's just..."

He patiently waits for your reply.

"It's a long story"

~

Flashback to Middle school

"Kiyoko can you set for meeee?" you say eagerly. Your tiny legs are propelling you up and down with full force and you're filled with excitement. Your 5 year old self couldn't contain it.

"Ahah wait (F/N), I didn't set up the net yet!" Kiyoko giggled as she drags the net under her arms and places it within the middle of the backyard. She assembles it quickly and you admire your sister from afar. You grab your favourite blue and yellow volleyball and run towards her. Your sister is 2 years older than you and just became a volleyball player in her elementary school.

One day I'm going to be a volleyball player like my sister.

"Okay! All ready! Just need one more person to toss the ball." Kiyoko states dusting off her palms.

"Daaaad!" Come heeeerree!" you called out to at the back of the house.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." you dad says as he hurried outside, slipping his feet into sandals.

 As the years went by, volleyball always ran within the family. Your dad used to play with Karasuno Highschool and he was the ace on his team. Kiyoko used to play volleyball up until middle school, but she pursued track and field instead. Dad wasn't too happy about it, but he was glad that she was still involved with the sport. You on the other hand loved volleyball and decided to join your first year in middle school. Your dad and your sister were always so proud of you as they came to cheer you on in every game. Sometimes it was embarrassing because they would dress up in the school colours, make posters with your name on it and even put on face paint, but you loved them regardless. You chose to be a spiker because you loved soaring through the air before slamming the ball to the ground. It felt like flying.

"Nice kill (F/N)!" your dad beamed at you. He rubbed the top of your head and pulled you into a huge embrace.

"One more time!" you exclaim, trying to catch your breath.

"Dinner time!!!" Your mom called out from the house.

"Awwwww, but we're not done yet!" you pouted.

"C'mon, you're going to run out of energy eventually" Dad said looking down on you. Your dad swiftly hoisted you on his left shoulder, flipping you upside down. You let out a joyful squeal as he hung you from his broad shoulders. Your legs dangling near your dad's chest and you hear Kiyoko laughing her head off, with your mother yelling at her husband to put you down. Your world was small, but that was all you needed. Volleyball and family.

You remembered it as if it was yesterday.

———— end p 3————-
Thank you to all my friends who I forced to read my fanfiction😅