Light after Light

Nishinoya's POV

I brought Tanaka to the festival to calm his nerves. He seemed to be pent over a rumour he's heard about Kiyoko. Hopefully it's just a rumour. I just wanted to help out my best friend.

"Tanaka-kun! Look at all those pretty girls!" I point out in amazement.

Tanaka's face lit up like a kid in a candy story. We both started cheering for the beautiful array of girls dressed in a Kimonos while performing a mesmerizing dance. Looking back at Tanaka's face, he's smiling but his smile didn't meet his eyes.

 He's not the same. It's been over a year, yet he's still thinking about Kiyoko.

Tanaka notices me staring and voices out,

"I know what you're thinking Yu."

I turn away in embarrassment and ignore his comment.

"She's still here. I can still feel her presence." Tanaka blurted out. His eyes were still on the pretty girls but they were full of disinterest. 

They don't give him the same joy Kiyoko did. Well, used to.

"They're not her. They'll never replace her. And I know I should move on but... I talked to (F/N) on the bus. Can't believe they're siblings. While I tried helping her when she was paralyzed on the bus floor, she murmured something about Kiyoko being here in Tokyo. I couldn't tell if she was lying or just in shock. But who would lie about their sisters whereabouts..."

Tanaka's face was stern and his voice was cold. It was unlike him to be serious. Considering how much of a goofball he was. It was odd seeing him like this. It's unsettling.

It reminds me of last year when Kiyoko broke up with him. He was stuck in a depressed state for so long, I had to check up on him constantly. At least it's not as bad as before but still, I was always scared he would crawl back into the darkness he was shrouded in.

"I believe you." I smiled weakly at my bald best friend.

"Wow! MOMMA LOOK! THE LIGHTS ARE SO PRETTY!" a child remarked as she pulled her mom towards the source of light.

 We turned around and see the lanterns were being released. It was the highlight of the festival. The cascade of lights illuminated both of our faces, as people gathered near the bay to watch.

"Hey, Tanaka. Let's watch the lanterns! If we go now, we'll get great spots!"

He agreed, but I could tell Kiyoko was still on his mind.

I tug him by his sleeve and drag his mopey butt. Following the rest of the crowd, we take a seat in the sand. Tanaka let out a sigh,

"I took Kiyoko here on our first date..."

Sighing out of pity for my best friend, I let out the honest truth, 

"Okay dude, enough about Kiyoko for today. We're supposed to have fun! If I hear 'Kiyoko' one more time-"

"Excuse me? Is this seat taken?"

I was in the middle of slapping some sense into your friend when I turn around to see two attractive girls waiting for my response. My facial expression changed instantly from irritation to awe.

"No girls! Not at all! Nishinoya by the way." I take out my hand to shake with the two girls.

"And this is my best man Tanaka!" I wrap my arm forcefully around Tanaka's shoulders and he looks up in surprise. The girls were dressed in skirts and tight t-shirts.

Thank you God.

"Please come sit with us." Tanaka said enticingly. He pats the sand beside him and the girls happily joined. One girl sat with me, the other with Tanaka.