Unexpected Morning

"Jeon Jeongguk!!"

The old woman's voice echoed so sudden and so loud that he had to pull the phone slightly farther from his ear. Jeez...his eardrums are ringing with the high-pitched sound.

"Yes, mother,"

Taehyung and Jimin eye him speculatively of his action. Their smirks show just how proud they are of their earlier assumptions – annoying Jeongguk even more. And it's only 8.30am!

"How...why...why are you doing this to us?! Do you know how upset your father is right now? The last thing he needs is another one of your scandal –"

He sighed, looking down to the food just placed in front of him. "Mom, I'm sorry. I'll talk to him –"

"He doesn't want to talk to you. Your face is all over the news – just why...why would you do this to us? Have we not been good to you? Have I not raised you well enough –"

Oh...here goes! Typical of his mother to be so dramatic over such a petty thing!

"Mom, don't say that. Of course you raised me well. Those are just rumors – honestly! I don't know why they're making such a big deal out of it –"

"You – Jeon Jeongguk –" He heard his mother taking a deep breath. Wow...she's really upset over this – it's the second time she called out his full name! "Tell me the truth. Did you or did you not sleep with CEO Chou's daughter?!"

"Well..." Jeongguk thought for a while, not sure if it's a good idea to tell his mother about something so personal. But then again, it won't be the first time... "I didn't really sleep with her..."

"What does that mean??" His mother shouted again.

Jeongguk's eyes landed on his friends' faces, which are trying hard to contain their laughter. Jimin's face is so red, he looks like he's about to explode!

"I mean...I was at her place – yes. But I didn't sleep there, I went back home –"

"Yahhh!!!" There it is. The loudest scream ever. It made him jumped a little in his seat. "How could you be so stupid – he's been your father's business rival for God knows how long – seriously, do you not –"

"Mom, relax. Those news are gossips – it's normal –"

"It's not normal to your father's reputation! And yours – when will you see that?!" His mother sighed again – a sound that always made him feel bad about himself. He wouldn't care so much if his mother is shouting or screaming, because he knows there'll always be a way out of it – being the brat that he is. But the sigh means she's disappointed. And the thought will always scare him – like he had crossed the line or something.

"Mom...I'll talk to dad okay? I'm sorry, I didn't...I didn't do it intentionally –"

"Jungoo...you're a grown up. I know you're young and you wanna have fun like you always say but...how long are you gonna be so...so irresponsible like this? Have you not thought of how it'll affect your family? Your reputation? If you don't care about yourself or us, can you not think about the people working for you?" His chest began thudding loudly as he heard those words. His mother is the most patient and loving woman he had held on a pedestal and to hear her resigned tone and the word 'irresponsible' altogether makes him feel like such a fuck up.

"Mom –"

"Just...do whatever you want. I don't wanna say anything anymore. I'm tired of having to constantly justify your actions to your father. You wanted freedom, I gave you that. Every time you do things like this...I had to hear it from your father. 'If only you didn't spoil him too much' he would say to me. I raised you to be a well-respected man of your own. I wanted you to be Jeon Jeongguk, not your father or anyone else. But if this is him...this is who you are and who you've become...clearly, I failed. You took it so lightly," Is she crying? Oh, way to go you ass!

"How many times have you appeared – you face plastered side by side with all these girls? You don't even feel ashamed of it. That's all they talk about you – not your achievements, not how smart your are...not how you hold one of the biggest shares in the country and how good you treat the people at the company. I know for you it's just gossips – but you didn't even hesitate to feed them with it. Are you proud of yourself? When you look at those gossip news – is it an accomplishment to you?"

"We're old...and we're tired Jungoo. Your father had to deal with phone calls from the shareholders now. I'm not sure what's gonna happen. You have to know that your actions have consequences. It's clear that you don't take that seriously – and you can't blame your father if he feels the same now. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say,"

"What, mom –"

"You will hear from your father. I'm done talking,"

...

"What's the rush?" Jimin catches up behind them.

"Sorry man, but I have to go back to Busan,"

"What – like, now??"

"Where have you been – he has to rush back home to talk to his dad –"

"Convince them to not throw me off from the company –"

"Or the family –" Taehyung smirked. The remark made Jeongguk tensed a little. They wouldn't...wouldn't they?

He turned back to face Taehyung and Jimin. "We're brothers right?"

The two guys frowned at his sudden question.

"In case...if anything,"

"Guk, it was a joke. They won't – trust me. Your mom especially –"

"Yeah...yeah...I don't know," He started walking backwards, shaking his head. "She sounded weird, maybe she –"

"She's frustrated, of course. But you know how to charm her back – convince them that your personal life has nothing to do with you being one of the most influential and soon-to-be – look out!"

Jeongguk felt his back bumping into something soft and heard a small whimper. He turns to find that 'something' is actually a 'someone', looking down to the scattered groceries on the ground.

"I'm sorry," He heard her small voice as she bowed a little, then squatting down to pick up the mess.

Aish, just my luck when I needed to hurry! He muttered the word 'sorry' a couple of times and kneels down to help her. Didn't she see where she was going? Yeah, he wasn't looking but she could've just avoided him. Cat food. Ugh!

"No, it's okay – you don't have to,"

He looks up to the girl but couldn't find her face. She's wearing a hoodie that looks way too big on her, and her eyes are looking down to the stuff she's picking up. He did, however, noticed the pink and pretty, plump lips.

"Here –" He raised the cat food to her and she looks up. Jeongguk froze. Those have got to be the prettiest pair of eyes he'd ever seen! And they sit nicely on her perfect face...with that plump lips...shining and drawing him in. Her skin color is slightly different – more red than yellow. Is she Korean? Koreans don't have this face...and they certainly don't have these big, galaxy-filled eyes...

"Guk –" Taehyung's voice snapped him back to reality. The girl took the cat food off his hand and puts it back into her brown bag. Then without a word, she bowed again and passed him by.

Jeongguk's right hand had unconsciously made its way to his chest, feeling the fast beating of his heart. Anxiety...must be the anxiety.

"Now is not the time for you to start drooling for the next girl!"

Drooling – psshh! Who said anything about drooling?? She's pretty, of course...but clearly, she's not his type – not even close! That big-ass hoodie...with that worn-out, blue baggy jeans – wait, are those the new Balenciaga trainers –

"Yahh!" He felt a smack at the back of his neck and a strong grip after, turning him around and away from the girl that's already too far from them.

...