Winning & Losing

"So what do you think?"

Jeongguk looks up to his father - who's nodding slowly with the usual scary frown on his face. Please...

"Are you sure about the market?"

"I've done all my research and I have all the numbers ready," Please...please say yes...

"Send me the business plan - a detailed one," Yes!! Jeongguk felt like his heart's about to explode out of his chest and hug his father out of joy! He's open to the idea! "Don't get too excited yet, you still need to convince the partners and stakeholders. We'll look through it together,"

"Okay - yeah! I'll firm it up and share it with you as soon as I can!" He can't wipe the grin on his face. "Thanks dad...for um...hearing me out," He can't wait to tell Lalisa about this!

Mr Jeon nods with a small smile. "We still need to talk about your bad habits,"

Oh...okay, here it goes -

"You know...I had to constantly convince the partners every time this happens. They listened to me time and time again. But if this keeps going, I will lose their trust. I can already tell that some of them are slowly losing it. What's going to happen if I'm no longer around?"

Jeongguk looks down to the coffee table. Of course, now that he understands it better - and that he's pretty sure his 'habits' will no longer be an issue with Lalisa now in his life - he will do his best to listen more and ensure these said parties will gain back their trusts. But those last words of his father sounds too heavy...he never thought of it in that sense before.

"Your mother and I...we've discussed. I know how much you'll hate this idea since you're always the type who has a mind of his own...but for your mother's sake, please just agree to it. It'll do good to her heart,"

"Okay?" Is it just him or is his father finally speaking to him normally...like how a normal father talks to his son?

"We think it's best if you settle down,"

He's not sure why, but as soon as his father said those words, Lalisa's face came into mind. Imagine that...

"I know a few of my partners who have daughters around the same age as you -"

"Wait - hang on - what?"

His father paused, staring at his confused state.

"You mean...like an arranged marriage?"

"Well...you can call it that. Yes, that's for the best,"

"No! No, no, no - dad, please! I've changed, I promise you - I'll never -"

"You've said this and we - I mean, your mother - always trusted you. It's not that we don't now, but maybe if you're married, the media won't dig up so much dirt on you -"

"They will - that's what they do! They'll try anything but please dad - I beg you, please don't force me to be with someone -"

"I'm not asking you to get married tomorrow. Maybe you can take a month to get to know the girl first, then get married,"

Jeongguk took a deep breath to calm himself down. This is bad. This is worse than getting kicked out of the family! There's no way that he'll ever allow himself to fall into these conservative, stereotypical path that he's been hearing about all his life! Okay, he needs to fix this. He needs to convince them and convince them real quick!

"Dad, please," He said in a more composed manner. "I'm not opposed to you and mom's idea but...can I ask you a question?"

Mr Jeon leans back in his seat.