Next To You

What's really going on? Why is she so upset? What is it about the monkey - he really wants to know! Lalisa had been extremely quiet while they were waiting for the train and now he can't even try to ask because they are seated too far apart. 

She didn't even turn to look at him. She just walked straight ahead to her seat. He was back to being the insignificant party to her and it's frustrating! Jeongguk had made such development. She poked him, for God's sake! That has to count for something!

And now she's back to staring out the window. He would have taken the seat beside her...if there wasn't another woman coming in and took that seat just when the train was about to depart. Damn...can this day be any more challenging?? Jeongguk takes a deep breath.

Okay...it's okay. I can wait for another...24 minutes. Just 24 minutes more until they reach Busan, then she'll be back by his side. He's not sure what her plans are when she changed her mind. Worst kinds of scenarios ran through him since she bought that ticket.

Yeah, sure he's happy that he gets to spend more time with her - in his mind they were ideally sitting next to each other - but she's not going because of him. She's going because of the sender of that stupid monkey! What is she planning to do? Will she hurt them? Oh no...would Jeongguk have to face the fact that this girl is a psychopath?? 

Okay Guk...calm down. Calm down... She's a sane, logical person. She won't do anything physically harmful to anyone. She can't. She's light...but she does kickboxing. Okay, but Jeongguk could just sweep her off if she tries attacking anyone. He should stick by her all the way through. That's the only way he can protect her. 

She probably won't want him around though. After all, she knew he's going back to his parents'. She'd probably shoo him off the moment they reach! She's on a mission and she probably won't let anyone distract her -

His phone rings and he struggles a little to take it out from his pocket. Mom!

"Mom! I've been trying to call you - what's going on?"

"The phone was left charging -"

"I was so worried!" There's silence on the line. "Mom...I'm so sorry. I know I messed up again - I promise, I promise I won't do it again. Please tell dad. I'm coming home -"

"What, no!"

"Why?" He can hear her sobbing. Why - why is she crying?! "Mom..."

"Guk, just stay at home. Stay where you are, don't go out -"

He heard a bit of ruffling sounds, then his father's voice.

"Son, stay at home," Son...I'm still his son...yes!! "Don't go anywhere until you hear from me again,"

"What's going on dad? I'm already on my way back -"

"What? How?? I put those guys there to look out -"

"Aish I knew they're your men! Why didn't you just tell me? Why did you put them there?"

"Where are you now?"

"I don't know where exactly,"

"Aishh why do you always do this? Why do you always have to worry us like this?"

"Don't worry - dad, about the news...I can explain -"

"I don't care about  the damn news - I care about your life! Why do you go around not using your brain?? Are you really this clueless?" He could hear the frustrations in his father's voice.

"I..." Now. Now the guilt hits him. He's such a disappointment! Everything he does is and always will be wrong in his father's eyes. "I'm sorry dad. I'm sorry you're always so disappointed in me. You have high hopes for me but I can never measure up -" His breath hitched as he held the rising pain in his chest from bursting out.