Oh Deer

Wednesday Fall afternoon. The trees were filled with all shades of orange not leaving a single green leaf in sight. James Potter was back against a tree, alone with his thoughts. Classes were done for the day, Remus probably studying, Peter probably tagged along with Sirius in pranking some Slytherins. Wind lashed against his face as he twirled his wand between his fingers. He was alone. Or that's what he thought.
Leaves crunched under her boots. James turned to see a red-headed girl walking around the side of the lake. This caught his attention. What was she doing here? She stopped at some trees, had her wand and some books in her arms. James watched her as she placed her books on a neighbouring rock and held her wand. She spoke and a white spark came from her wand before quickly disappearing.
She was trying to conjure a Patronus and failing. Lily Evans failing? She kept trying, a little more progress every time before James walked over to her.

"Hello Evans"

Lily jumped around, shocked to see him.

"Stalking me Potter?"

"I was sitting around the lake and saw you"

"Watching me isn't much better"

James chuckled.

"Do you need help?" He asked. Lily glared at him, scowling.

"Why? You think I can't do this by myself?"

"Woah, Evans. I would never think that. I-I just saw you struggling a bit and wanted to help"

"uh yeah sorry sure"
James looked at her questionably.

"I would love your help"

***

After practice and more practice, Lily was getting the hang of it.

"Okay but hold you wand a bit higher" James instructed standing behind her, holding her hand to move her wand. Lily turned away and blushed.

"Could you show me yours?" Lily asked.

"Uh of course"

James positioned himself steady with his wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" He shouted out. A vivid light shot from his wand and emerged into a stag. The stag pranced around to Lily cautiously. She took a few steps towards it. The stag walked forward and nuzzled into her neck. Lily smiled as she marveled at the beauty of James' patronus. It walked to James and bowed before disappearing.

"That was amazing" Lily said, looking at James. He modestly smiled.

"Your turn. Your happiest memory" He reminded her. Lily focused and breathed deeply. Her mind raced through all of her happy memories and she pointed her wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" She yelled and her wand erupted with a bright light that formed into a doe. The doe danced around the two who were dumbstruck before turning into a light smoke and then nothing.

My patronus and James are a match... does that mean we're soulmates? Lily hid her face and blushed profusely.

"So uh a-a doe" James stuttered.

"Um yeah" Lily faced him.

"Well uh. Good job for uh conjuring a patronus"

Had he even seen it? He's acting like it's not a big deal

"Yeah, a doe"

"Mhmm"

"And yours is a stag"

"Uh yep"

Did he even care? Why didn't he care? Why do I care that he doesn't? Wait do I fancy him?

"Stag and doe... a match"

Still doesn't look interested.

"Which makes us soulmates"

James looked at her, but not the way James Potter looks at her normally. It was more shy and withheld.

"Do you even care Potter?" She asked.

"Oh bloody hell Evans, you're making this a thousand times difficult. Of course, I care!"

"Then why aren't you making a big deal of it?"

"I thought you would like it this way. Why do you want me to make a scene? Do you want me to kiss you?"

"Honestly yes!"

His heartbeat increased at a rapid speed, thundering in his chest. He took a few steps towards her before they were so close they were sharing the same oxygen. Lily stared back at him, focusing between his eyes and his lips.

"Is that the truth?" James whispered, taking another step, leaning over her since he was so tall. His gentle touch tingled on Lily's skin as he glided her chin upwards to look at him. Wind weaved in between the pair but all Lily could feel was the heat that radiated off of James. He slowly placed on a hand on her waist. She was slightly taken back, shivering at his touch. He slid his other hand against her cheek; his thumb tracing over her gentle lips. Lily snaked her arms up around his neck, sliding into his tangled hair.

"Yes". Their lips connected, fitting perfectly. Fitting like two puzzle pieces. Sweet, soft and gentle, they passionately kissed each other. Hairs stood up on the back of James' neck. Merlin, he was kissing Lily Evans. HE was KISSING Lily bloody Evans! The thing he had dreamed, hoped for since first year. But reality put imagination to shame. James pulled away and gazed into her round, bright eyes. Her eyes were amazing. So bright and green. He could think of a million things to describe her eyes but he could not say a single one as they fled from his mind when he wanted to voice them. Bright, hopeful, shimmering, cheery and something else that made it beautiful. Even though James had studied her eyes he still couldn't figure out how they were so beautiful.

"That better Evans?" He asked.

"Definitely" She grinned.

"So... we're soulmates" He smirked.

"James Potter I knew you would gloat"

"You're the one who begged to kiss me"

"I didn't beg!"

They playfully argued back and forth making their way back to Hogwarts.